• Community
  • Products
  • Bitbucket
  • Questions
  • Our company is working on a number of projects with codes on bitbucket with sensitive information. We don't want all users to see all the codes on all the product codes within our company in bitbucket. I am trying to follow the best practice having few br

Our company is working on a number of projects with codes on bitbucket with sensitive information. We don't want all users to see all the codes on all the product codes within our company in bitbucket. I am trying to follow the best practice having few br

Our company is working on a number of projects with codes on bitbucket with sensitive information. We don't want all users to see all the codes on all the product codes within our company in bitbucket. I am trying to follow the best practice having few branches on the top e.g. master, develop, hot fixes etc. and having product > project (product based projects) based code setup.

As the administrator of bitbucket, I want set limitation of the permission/access that users can only access to project codes they're involved in. Is there any way to achieve it ?

2 answers

Hi Shyam,

This can be controlled by applying Project Permissions. As you'll see in this document, these permissions allow you to set whether a project is going to be public or not, and also set permissions individually, to users and/or groups, defining their level of access to each project.

Going further, if you also want to manage permissions for repositories within the same project you can also make use of Repository Permissions, which work in a similar way as the project permissions.

Regards,

Gustavo Refosco

Moreover, you can also set "Branch Permissions".

Branch permissions only affect the ability to push to a branch, though, not the ability to view/clone it

Just an addition to the permission, not actually a replacement for what Gustavo stated :)

Adam Ahmed Atlassian Team Nov 03, 2015

Note that repository permissions _loosen_ restrictions relative to project permissions. So you want the project permission to include only people who should see _every_ repository in that project. Then you can open up individual repos to more people as needed.

Appreciate your quick response. I have already gone through the available answers on branch permission and other options, but could not get my desired setup. The current authority will mean to have each project with a repository which will mean a big number of repository for organizations running multiple projects running under a roof. Will look forward for user management enhancement from Atlassian.

What specific User Management would that be?

Are you using Bitbucket Server or Bitbucket Cloud?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 12, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use any Atlassian products for your personal projects?

After spinning my wheels trying to get organized enough to write a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) I took my affinity for Atlassian products from my work life and decided to tr...

25,463 views 26 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you