Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operations from git client (windows) are randomly very slow

Julien C February 13, 2019

Hi,

Sometimes, operations (push, pull requests...) performed from git client are really slow, from 10 to 30minutes instead of a few seconds.

Based on knowledge base we tried to move from HTTPS to SSH connection but it didn't solve the issue.

Best regards,

Julien

1 answer

0 votes
Ben Stuart
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2019

Hey Julien, 

This could occur for any number of reasons. You will need to perform some troubleshooting to determine where the slowness is derived from. 

1. Is this an issue you're facing with Bitbucket Cloud or Bitbucket Server? 

If this issue is with Bitbucket Server you could try cloning on Bitbucket's server itself with the IP address and port to rule out any potential network slowness. This is also a very common problem we see a lot in support.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserverkb/git-push-operations-extremely-slow-on-windows-779171372.html

2. Do you see this problem with every repository or just large ones? 

If this is for all repositories it could be an issue with your network. You may want to try some network tests like ping and telnet to make sure you have a fast connection. You may want to check with other users on a different network to see if they experience the same problem.

3. Are there a lot of Binaries in this repository? 

If so you may want to consider using LFS. Git is notoriously slow with binaries. 

I hope this helps point you in the right direction! 

Julien C February 13, 2019

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Sorry, it was not clear but Bitbucket Server is hosted on Ubuntu 16, developpers run git client mainly under Windows.

1. does not apply in our hosting scenario

2. the problem occurs regardless of the repository size (none of them are "big")

We don't have binaries in git.

I'm also looking if this apply to us: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Slow-SSH-clone-pull-push/qaq-p/953843 

However, the problem was also present using https. 

Julien

Ben Stuart
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2019

Hey again Julien, 

In this case, I'm leaning toward network issues. Can you check if cloning on the server itself is fast? The network tests I suggested may prove helpful as well. If that's not the problem, you may want to consider opening a support request with us if you have a license. Then we could take a look at your logs and get an idea if there is something on the application side.

Julien C February 18, 2019

Hi,

As the problem occurs randomly performing the operations on the server may not be relevant.

We found that log files were using a lot of space on system disk instead of the dedicated one for atlassian tools including bitbucket, resulting in few remaining system disk space. We moved them (configuration updated...). I'll let you know if it solved our issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events