Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only local branch is resetted, remote branch remains unchanged

Coding Bart October 11, 2017

A good day,

When I do the command 'git reset --hard HEAD~2' in my local branch, everything in my local branch is indeed set back 2 commits.

So if I git 'git status' i am behind two commits by the remote branch. But the whole point is to reset the remote branch back 2 commits as well. 

The documentation says this about it: "Eventually, such dangling commits will be pruned through the garbage collection". 

But, still hours after doing the git reset, the remote branch is still unchanged, and my local branch is still 2 commits behind. Then, the only way is to do git pull to make things even again.

What am I missing here? I just want the remote AND local branch to be resetted an 'x' amount of commits. 

I am looking forward to some answers. Many thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2017

Hi Bart! After you perform the git reset in your local branch you need to push these changes to the remote repo. You can do this by using git push --force to force push the change.

git push --force 

Once you push your changes Bitbucket will automatically run an aggressive git gc to rewrite the history and reflect your change, this can take up to 60 minutes. If the gc doesn't happen, let us know.

Hope that helps :)

Ana

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2017

Hi there,

Could you clarify which product you're referring to? Confluence does not use Git or Commits. I'd like to move your question to the proper product.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Coding Bart October 12, 2017

Sorry, I did not see the tag. Tag changed to the Bitbucket product.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 12, 2017

No worries, Bart! I also have moved your question to the Bitbucket collection.

Thank you for updating the tag.

Kind Regards,
Shannon 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events