Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Pipeline to handle multiple repositories

Hans Pikkemaat December 17, 2018

I've got 200+ repositories which should be built and tested. These repo's do not contain software but configuration files which also have version management.

The software to build and test them is in a separate repository because its the same for all 200 repo's.

I really don't want to create 200 identical bitbucket-pipeline.yml files because thats not DRY.

I want to be able to run one pipeline but then for each of the 200 repo's. So if one repo changes I want to trigger the one pipeline but I guess I need to be able to tell it what repository has changed.

Is this possible?

2 answers

1 vote
Simon Sattes April 11, 2024

If someone comes here via internet research like me - if you are on premium plan, shared pipelines are it's a supported feature now, see https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/share-pipelines-configurations/

1 vote
davina
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2019

Hi @Hans Pikkemaat,

We have a feature request tracking this here and the work on the spec has started.

I recommend following that and giving any feedback there if you wish!

Cheers,

Davina

Hans Pikkemaat February 11, 2019

Hi,

I think that is a good way te reuse components but I'm not sure if this will prevent creating 200 bitbucket-pipelines.yaml files in my use case.

I need one pipeline job which I can trigger when one of the 200 repo's change and somehow pass the job env vars containing the repo that was changed.

The job will then know the repo that changed, clone it, and run the tests on it. 

If you have advise on how to do this I would be very happy to hear about it.

kind regards,

Hans

Abdul
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 15, 2021

Hi @davina ,

I know it has been a while since this post was created, but by any chance, is there a feature in the works that would prevent us from creating 200 bitbucket-pipelines.yml  identical files for each repo like @Hans Pikkemaat mentioned above (i.e one pipeline to handle multiple repositories)?

Regards,

Abdul

Swav Swiac
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 19, 2022

Not sure this would work for you, but you can create a custom pipeline.

You would create one repo for the custom pipeline that would contain all logic and then the other repos would just include a single step, the custom pipelne.

Like Denise Skidmore likes this
Sven Suneson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 5, 2022

Hello @Swav Swiac

Say a custom pipeline is sufficient. How would one include the custom pipeline from repo across multiple other repos?

Swav Swiac
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 5, 2022

AFAIK, the custom pipeline is just a public Docker Hub image that you could create. I think they are also introducting other options for source of pipelines.

Example usage for Nancy Check pipeline from one of our repos below:

- step:

name: Nancy check

artifacts:

download: false

script:

- pipe: sonatype-community/nancy-scan:0.1.23

variables:

NANCY_MODFILE: go.sum

If you have some secret logic in your build, you could use private docker image as build image to encapsulate it all:

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/use-docker-images-as-build-environments/

Like Sven Suneson likes this
Sven Suneson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 6, 2022

Thanks for the help. This seems to be what I was looking for.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events