git lfs fetch origin --all

objects are downloaded .

git lfs push --all [New Repo URL]

Uploading LFS objects: 0% (0/100), 0 B | 0 B/s

It is stuck for more than 12 hours

2 answers

0 votes
Piotr Biegun _Gitprotect_io_ March 11, 2022

Maybe you have similar issues like this reported on Github, which doesn't support pushing LFS objects to public fork https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64400301/got-stuck-while-uploading-in-public-repository-in-github-via-git

I don't know your use case, but if you want to do backups for your repos and metadata, you could automate it with dedicated apps on Bitbucket marketplace https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1225728/gitprotect-io-backup-for-bitbucket.

0 votes
Benjamin Mayer March 11, 2022

I guess there should be "better" ways to do this, but whenever I've migrated LFS objects between repositories in GitHub or Bitbucket, I followed this procedure:

• discover all lfs files with git lfs ls-files
  • backup all those files anywhere else on the computer
  • delete all those file in the repository and commit that
  • migrate to the new repository (without the LFS files)
  • restore all LFS files from the backup to the new repository

If you are handy with the command line, this should all not be too hard to do without looking at individual files.

To be really thorough, you can replace all of the files in the entire history, but it's more complicated and I honestly never felt the need.

Priya M March 11, 2022

Thank you, Benjamin. I would like to know about the last step in more detail. 

• restore all LFS files from the backup to the new repository

I have discovered and have all those LFS objects in my local. The repository is migrated without LFS. (When I clone this new one without LFS it gives me an error for object not found). So how do I restore all the LFS files to the new repo? 

Benjamin Mayer March 11, 2022

Can you clone the new repo, even if lfs is throwing errors? Otherwise you'll need to clone explicitly without lfs. The LFS files will exist, but only as tiny text files. Then you'll have to delete all those files and commit that so that everything is 'fine' to git on that branch in the repository. Then you copy-paste the correct files back into the repo and push them as new files in a new commit. Now they should be uploaded correctly to the LFS of the new repo.

Priya M March 14, 2022

Thank you, Benjamin. Will the copy-paste and push the objects as new commit work for all the branches of the repo? Since I will be committing to one branch only,  I was wondering if someone has files checked in to their feature branch then, in that case, will this approach work?

Benjamin Mayer March 14, 2022

If the feature branch doesn't have new files or changes to existing files, they should be able to merge the new LFS files from the main branch without issues.

If the feature branch has some changes to and/or new LFS files, I'd migrate those files exactly like you did on main. Then merge main into the branch. Conflicts will pop up for all files that were changed on the branch, but those can be resolved simply by taking the version of the branch.

Priya M March 14, 2022

Unfortunately, we have around 2000 branches and 250 LFS files spread across all the branches. To migrate those with new commit will be a pain :( 

Benjamin Mayer March 14, 2022

Yes, that's not the kind of repo I've been working with. 250 LFS files shouldn't be a problem, but 2000 branches is a lot! I'd probably write a bash script that performs the conversion on each branch automatically, but I guess that would still cause some issues further down the line when merging branches.

Maybe look into the stuff from the other comment in this thread.

Edit: and contact Bitbucket support directly.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events