Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need multiple users ( already created) to be able to push files/updates to existing repository

Abhinay Talaulicar February 25, 2020

Hi , I am new to Bitbucket and Git and hence want to confirm here. I have created a repository and users in bitbucket web interface. Then , I cloned the repo into local repo using git commands and have pushed files using git commands from my local repo. 

( git clone , git status , git add , git commit)

I want more users ( already created) to be able to do the same that I am doing with their files and add it to the master. 

Question : Can they ( e.g. 6 users) clone the exisiting repo , and then use git commands to push files or will there be a conflict? The files they push to the master will be unique to the repository. ( meaning no 2 users will push same files). 

Thx

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Anthony Chavez February 25, 2020

Hello Abhinay,

Yes, that is correct. If they clone the master branch of the repository to their computer, they can then add their own files and push back to the master branch. There should not be any conflicts if they are adding files with unique names. Even if they do happen to add one with the same name, it will just show up in git as a change. So, you should be good there.

Also, from your question it seems like you might be doing all of this from the terminal. Have you tried using a git client like Sourcetree? It makes dealing with git a lot easier.

Hope this has helped,

Anthony

Abhinay Talaulicar February 25, 2020

Thx Anthony. I am using a terminal git bash and using git commands frm there.

Initially, i tried sourcetree but the software kept giving me issues with authentication and would redirect me time and again to sign out and re sign in on atlassian. 

So, i decided to use the terminal. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events