Need GC on remote repository

Jung Hyun Lee January 18, 2022

Dear Bitbucket support team,

We used BFG. After pushing last commit, this actually increased the size of the repository by ~4GB. Now, the repository is 4.04 GB, but we already reset last push.

Could you please run a git gc on our remote repository?

Thanks,

Jung Hyun

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2022

Hi Jung Hyun,

I can see in our system one repo with a size of 4 GB from the ones you have access to. I ran a git gc on this repo and its size is 2.7 GB now.
Does this agree with the size of your local repo after you ran BFG?

If you would like to reduce the repo's size further with BFG, please feel free to let me know after you push your changes so I can run another git gc. If you'd like more info on how to identify large files and also things to take into account when rewriting history, you can check my reply to another user's question here:

Please keep in mind that the automated aggressive git gc runs only when:
- you undo the last commit(s) with git reset and then push
- the user who does this push has the Labs feature Delete dangling commits when over size limit enabled in https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/features/

It will not get triggered if you rewrite history with BFG or git filter-branch. In this case, someone from the support team needs to trigger the git gc.

We have a feature request to provide users the option to trigger a git gc on the repo themselves:

You can add your vote in that feature request (by selecting the Vote for this issue link) if you'd be interested in that and add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events