cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My workspace not default

Chao-Chin Yang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 24, 2023

I have a personal workspace and also access to another colleague's workspace.

Whenever I simply access https://bitbucket.org/, it always directs me to my colleague's workspace instead of mine.  I have to type in the full address of my workspace in the address bar before I can directly go into it.  I have tried to search for any setting that could change this behavior, but no luck.

Is this a bug?  Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2023

Hello @Chao-Chin Yang and welcome to Community!

We have recently changed the bitbucket navigation to a single workspace view to align closer with other Atlassian Cloud products like Jira Software and Confluence Cloud (see Improving navigation for bitbucket users). With this change, when directly accessing bitbucket.org you will be redirected to the last workspace you visited, but not considering your personal workspace.

As we know that this might not be ideal for users that mainly work in personal workspaces, we have raised a feature request to add the ability for users to define a default/favorite workspace to be redirected when accessing bitbucket.org. This feature request can be accessed at the following link :

I would suggest you to add your vote there, since this helps both developers and product managers to understand the interest. Also, make sure you add yourself as a watcher in case you want to receive first-hand updates from that ticket. Please note that all features are implemented with this policy in mind.

As you have mentioned, the workaround while that feature is not available is to access the direct workspace link using the following pattern:

https://bitbucket.org/<workspaceID>

This should redirect you to the exact workspace you specify in the <workspaceID>. You can also bookmark that direct workspace URL into your browser, so it's easily accessible.

Thank you, @Chao-Chin Yang !

Patrik S

Chao-Chin Yang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 25, 2023

Thank you @Patrik S !

Like Patrik S likes this
Moby QT May 30, 2023

Can someone update the documentation? Right now google's search says that you can change the default workspace, by pointing to the steps for changing a workspace_id...

I think in today's question-based google indexing, you need to explicitly say that this cannot be done in the current feature set.

change bitbucket default workspace
About 296,000 results (0.30 seconds) 
From your profile avatar, select the workspace you want to update or All workspaces for a list of all your workspaces. Select Settings on the left sidebar navigation of the workspace. Select (change) to the right of your workspace ID. Enter your new workspace ID.
Change a workspace ID | Bitbucket Cloud - Atlassian Support

Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2023

Hello @Moby QT ,

The documentation you shared is actually to change/update the workspace ID. This is still possible through the workspace settings.

What is currently not available is to set a default workspace to be loaded when you directly access https://bitbucket.org without specifying a workspace ID in the URL. For this functionality, we have the opened feature request BCLOUD-22561.

Thank you, @Moby QT !

Patrik S

Moby QT June 20, 2023

Agreed, I was quoting the docs to show that google's indexing has misfired. The question and answer do not match.

Even if we don't get the feature request soon, couldn't the document be tweaked so that google would be less confused when it indexes the page?

seanmk August 14, 2023

It seems to me that the problem is that the personal workspace is not considered when choosing the most recently visited.  Certainly adding a feature to select the default would be nice, but it seems a lot more complicated than just adding the personal workspace to the list, which is what I would expect 99% of people would want.

sam5827
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 4, 2023

@Patrik S Could this actually be a bug instead? https://bitbucket.org/blog/improving-navigation-for-bitbucket-users doesn't state anything about personal workspaces not being considered.

With this change, when directly accessing bitbucket.org you will be redirected to the last workspace you visited, but not considering your personal workspace.

Can you check the original work items for the "Single Workspace Scoped Navigation" to see if this was indeed part of the original design? Or if it is indeed a bug.

I highly doubt the feature at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-22561 will get implemented and it will likely be at the expense of personal Atlassian customers like myself...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events