My account doubled while changing email address

Paul Luis I'm New Here Sep 26, 2017

Hello,

I've changed my email address and now there's two accounts. If I log in with foo@gmail.com I can use bitbucket normally but if I go to my atlassian settings I see as current email bar@gmail.com. If I try to log in with bar@gmail.com right into bitbucket, I have to sign up again (set my new username).

Why did this happen and how can I fix it? I've noticed it when I got a group invitation to my old email address and I couldn't accept. Is there a way to merge the two accounts?

1 answer

0 vote

Hi Paul! I've checked your email address (the one you used to submit this post) and I could see it's a secondary email address for your Bitbucket Cloud account.

Signing up with a secondary email address is not possible, if you try to do that our system will see that it's not associated to any Bitbucket account (as a primary) and will try to create a new account for you (thus, why it's asking you for a username). If you want to make that email address your primary one, you can do so by logging into Bitbucket with your current primary account and following the steps:  

1. Navigate to your avatar in the bottom left corner
  2. Click on Bitbucket Settings.
  3. Go to Account settings > Update these details through your Atlassian account > Change email address

Let us know if you have any questions :)

Best regards,

Ana

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

693 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot