My account doubled while changing email address

Paul Luis September 26, 2017

Hello,

I've changed my email address and now there's two accounts. If I log in with foo@gmail.com I can use bitbucket normally but if I go to my atlassian settings I see as current email bar@gmail.com. If I try to log in with bar@gmail.com right into bitbucket, I have to sign up again (set my new username).

Why did this happen and how can I fix it? I've noticed it when I got a group invitation to my old email address and I couldn't accept. Is there a way to merge the two accounts?

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2017

Hi Paul! I've checked your email address (the one you used to submit this post) and I could see it's a secondary email address for your Bitbucket Cloud account.

Signing up with a secondary email address is not possible, if you try to do that our system will see that it's not associated to any Bitbucket account (as a primary) and will try to create a new account for you (thus, why it's asking you for a username). If you want to make that email address your primary one, you can do so by logging into Bitbucket with your current primary account and following the steps:  

1. Navigate to your avatar in the bottom left corner
  2. Click on Bitbucket Settings.
  3. Go to Account settings > Update these details through your Atlassian account > Change email address

Let us know if you have any questions :)

Best regards,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events