Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple workspaces and repo organisation

Craig Lawton-Devine May 14, 2021

My team have been trying out Bitbucket and we have about a dozen repos in the workspace. We're now planning to migrate more of our repos from e.g. github and svn here and use it for other teams and products too.

What is the recommended way to organise workspaces, projects and repos?

It seems like we could use a single workspace for everything and organise by project, but that would quickly become cluttered. Alternatively we could have multiple workspaces but that may introduce more admin, managing user permissions for example.

We also use Jira. Does the workspace/project organisation have an impact there?

I would love to hear experiences from anyone who has explored this, and can help me understand the trade-offs!

Thank you,
Craig

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2022

Hi Graig,

G'Day!

Using a single Workspace is recommended since multiple Workspace means multiple billing as we charge per Workspace. So if you have 10 users in Workspace A and another 8 users in Workspace B, you'll be paying for 18 users even if it's the same users on both Workspace.

As for the management of repositories, you can use groups access to split up user access to repositories and use projects to group the repositories. More information on this at:

Manage user access in Workspace 

So in short, create a single Workspace and create multiple groups to split up and manage your users under proper projects and permission. You can then use projects to group the repositories under the projects so it's not cluttered.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any additional questions.

Cheers,
Syahrul

Jeff Miles May 18, 2022

This was a really helpful clarification Syahrul - one that I couldn't find explicitly stated in the Workspace documentation:

multiple Workspace means multiple billing as we charge per Workspace. So if you have 10 users in Workspace A and another 8 users in Workspace B, you'll be paying for 18 users even if it's the same users on both Workspace

Can I recommend this be added to documentation?

Follow-on question, is there any way to manage permissions at a Project level, or is this on a known roadmap somewhere? 

We want to be able to have repositories created inside a project and inherit group permissions, rather than being set one-by-one every time; it doesn't seem this is possible. 

Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2022

Hey @Jeff Miles 

Thanks for the feedback. I've channeled this with our team to get the documentation updated.

As for project permission, this is on our roadmap and currently being tracked at:

Allow users to manage repositories access with Project Permissions 

Cheers,
Syahrul

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events