Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move repo to another existing project (Bitbucket Cloud)

Wanderley Teixeira October 11, 2019

In Bitbucket Cloud, I want to move repoA that is in projectA to projectB.

I see that I can go to repoA settings and there's a drop down list of project that I can select. After I save, what are the side effects of this move (if any)? 

It seems that the clone url is the same, and all it does it literally move repoA and all its settings (permissions, etc) to projectB after I click to save the project change. Am I missing anything here?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2019

Hello @Wanderley Teixeira,

Thanks for reaching out.

You're right, clone URL and repository URL don't change when you move that repository between projects. In fact, you can think of projects as of single-value labels: they're used to group repositories but don't introduce any hierarchy in terms of configuration. The only exception to this is that private project can only contain private repositories. That said, you won't be able to move a public repository into a private project, and you won't be able to make a private repository public while it belongs to a private project. Public project can contain both public and private repositories, so this is not inheritance but rather some constraint for repositories in private projects.

All other permissions and settings are per repository, and project adds nothing on top of that.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Daniil

0 votes
Szabolcs Fodor October 9, 2020

In the "Repository details" page I can see only 10 projects from the ~35 projects we have. Unfortunately cannot move the repo because I do not see the projekt I want to select. Is it possible that the project selector list is limited to 10 projects only?

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2020

Hi @Szabolcs Fodor,

Yes it is limited, but it supports lookup, so try start typing the name of the project you want to move the repository to.

Cheers,
Daniil

Szabolcs Fodor October 12, 2020

Thank you. The typing helped to select the project.

0 votes
jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2019

I believe the clone url will include project key. When you move the project all integrations might break

double check the url. 

Wanderley Teixeira October 11, 2019

Bitbucket Cloud does not include the project name or key in the url, only repo name. This is different than Bitbucket Server.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events