Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Move and Delete Tags on Bitbucket Cloud

Is it possible to move/delete tags on Bitbucket Cloud?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal Atlassian Team Aug 20, 2019

Hi Alex, welcome to the Community!

You can't remove a tag from Bitbucket after you've added it. To remove a tag, you'll have to do so from the command line. This is explained in the article Repository tags.

For reference, you can learn how to do it from the terminal by following this tutorial or this post from Stackoverflow.

Hope that helps!

Ana

Hi Ana,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Is there any way to run command line on Bitbucket Cloud?

Or, I must use Sourcetree?

Ana Retamal Atlassian Team Aug 21, 2019

Hi Alex,

The command line can not be accessed from Bitbucket. You can access it directly on your computer (some systems call it 'terminal') or if you're not familiar or comfortable with the command line, you can use a graphical interface like Sourcetree. You can learn how to remove tags in Sourcetree on the article Adding, moving and removing tags.

Hope that helps!

Ana

There is a better solution to this using SourceTree, you can use Tag-> Remove Tag(Check Remove tag from all remotes).

See attachment.Capture.PNG

Hi, I did the Sourcetree Delete/Remove Tag with the option of the checkbox "Remove tag from all remotes" selected and apparently worked... but when someone else or I clone from zero the repo again the tags still there... Is frustrating that tags are immortal.

Actually, it is possible to delete a tag. This can be done from the commit's view: the tag has a gray X next to it.

The tagged commit can be found on the commits' page. It is the top-most one for the tag.

This answer is inspired by https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Creating-branch-from-an-old-commit/qaq-p/795260#M27589.

It doesn't have any X in my commit's view, please provide a screenshot if that's true

This is top-right on the commit's page: Capture.PNG

Updating in reply to the question below: this is Atlassian Bitbucket v7.6.10 Server

Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 16.32.01.png
Perhaps it is tied to the premium plan. I don't see the same options. Are you using Bitbucket Cloud or Server ?

I have replied above next to the screen shot (to please future readers).

It might be related to permissions, but I am really just a user, not an admin.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,170 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you