Move and Delete Tags on Bitbucket Cloud

neualex August 15, 2019

Is it possible to move/delete tags on Bitbucket Cloud?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2019

Hi Alex, welcome to the Community!

You can't remove a tag from Bitbucket after you've added it. To remove a tag, you'll have to do so from the command line. This is explained in the article Repository tags.

For reference, you can learn how to do it from the terminal by following this tutorial or this post from Stackoverflow.

Hope that helps!

Ana

neualex August 20, 2019

Hi Ana,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Is there any way to run command line on Bitbucket Cloud?

Or, I must use Sourcetree?

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2019

Hi Alex,

The command line can not be accessed from Bitbucket. You can access it directly on your computer (some systems call it 'terminal') or if you're not familiar or comfortable with the command line, you can use a graphical interface like Sourcetree. You can learn how to remove tags in Sourcetree on the article Adding, moving and removing tags.

Hope that helps!

Ana

Kunle Oladiran July 25, 2021

There is a better solution to this using SourceTree, you can use Tag-> Remove Tag(Check Remove tag from all remotes).

See attachment.Capture.PNG

Like Aydin Bulut likes this
Marchello Harfuch August 9, 2021

Hi, I did the Sourcetree Delete/Remove Tag with the option of the checkbox "Remove tag from all remotes" selected and apparently worked... but when someone else or I clone from zero the repo again the tags still there... Is frustrating that tags are immortal.

jimerman April 24, 2023

I don't know if this has changed, but I am trying to remove the tags via command line in my local repo, and when I push then pull, the tags reappear.  Apparently Bitbucket doesn't accept the deletion on a push.  I assume that doing it graphically via SourceTree is just doing the same thing on the back-end, issuing the `git tag -d` command, and as such it will also be rejected.  Does anyone have a solution that works?

5 votes
ccenvcvb May 4, 2023

Found a solution on stackoverflow, but not all solutions on stackoverflow work for bitbucket cloud.

this fails

git push --delete origin tagname
error: unable to delete 'tagname': remote ref does not exist
error: failed to push some refs to 'bitbucket.org:xyz.git'

git --version
git version 2.31.1

this works

git tag -d tagname
Deleted tag 'tagname' (was 83***07)
git push origin :refs/tags/tagname
To bitbucket.org:xyz.git
- [deleted] tagname
DaveB June 30, 2023

This worked for me, thanks!

Like # people like this
Gustavo Fernandez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 5, 2024

Worked for me as well, thanks!  

0 votes
martin_heinrich April 5, 2022

Actually, it is possible to delete a tag. This can be done from the commit's view: the tag has a gray X next to it.

The tagged commit can be found on the commits' page. It is the top-most one for the tag.

This answer is inspired by https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Creating-branch-from-an-old-commit/qaq-p/795260#M27589.

Nikola Orlov April 26, 2022

It doesn't have any X in my commit's view, please provide a screenshot if that's true

martin_heinrich April 26, 2022

This is top-right on the commit's page: Capture.PNG

Updating in reply to the question below: this is Atlassian Bitbucket v7.6.10 Server

Nikola Orlov April 27, 2022

Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 16.32.01.png
Perhaps it is tied to the premium plan. I don't see the same options. Are you using Bitbucket Cloud or Server ?

martin_heinrich April 27, 2022

I have replied above next to the screen shot (to please future readers).

It might be related to permissions, but I am really just a user, not an admin.

lintek214 December 20, 2022

I use release v8.3.0 at work and it has the [x] option along side of each tag. However, in my Cloud release, I just see the [+] symbol jus as Nikola stated in his comment. I have full privileges over my Bitbucket project repos also. So this must be a feature not included in the Cloud release.

ccenvcvb May 4, 2023

as far as I can tell this is a bitbucket server answer to a bitbucket cloud question.

The fact that a version number is shown seems to indicate server version to me.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events