Migration from Bitbucket Server to Cloud

Jumail Mundekkat August 15, 2021

Hi all,

I'm aware that the Migration Assistant is still a work in progress, but is there any way at all to migrate pull request data and project data from server to cloud?

This really does block any attempt for us to migrate over, and paired with the Bitbucket server licenses being dropped soon and new licenses for Bamboo server (since we want to add in CI/CD) being closed off very soon, really puts us in a hard place.

Thanks,

Jumail

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2021

Hi, @Jumail Mundekkat!

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

The "Bitbucket Cloud Migration Assistant" (often referred to as "BCMA") isn't quite ready yet but it is targeted for release in September or potentially October. We do recommend signing up for email updates via the above link if you're interested as we will publish when the tool releases via that channel. The BCMA will be able to migrate the following data on release with a few things planned for after the 1.0 release.

Available on launch: 

• Project/Repo

• Full source code (Git)

• Active Users (Currently licensed users and any users who had participated in PRs in the past)

• Pull Requests (Including Status, Description, Comments/tasks, Diff)

Not included (Potentially to be added in future releases): 

• Permissions (Project & Repo)

• Groups

• Git LFS

If you're interested in getting an early peek on the BCMA, I highly encourage you to sign up for the email notifications as we will be picking some users who sign up at random to help us beta test the tool which will start very soon.

Also, I would like to share with you that on February 2, 2021 PT, we stopped selling new licenses for our server products and cease new feature development in our server product line. However, server customers will have access to maintenance and support for an additional three years, ending February 2, 2024 PT.

If you have any questions, please do let me know.

Kind regards,
Caroline

Jumail Mundekkat August 18, 2021

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for the detailed response! That's good to hear that it's soon, we should be fine to delay our migration for the short term considering that.

Thanks again,

Jumail

1 vote
Mariluz COSTA May 23, 2022

Hi Caroline,

Do you have any suggestion for migration from Bitbucket 6.7.2?

Thank you for your answer,

Mariluz

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2022

Hi Mariluz,

You could use our repository importer to import individual repositories. In order to use the importer, your Bitbucket Server instance must be publicly accessible, at least to the IPs of Bitbucket Cloud. Otherwise, Bitbucket Cloud will not be able to access your Bitbucket Server to perform the import.

Another option is to create a new empty Bitbucket Cloud repo for each of your Server repos, and then push a mirror clone of each server repo to the respective cloud one. We have REST API for you to script the creation of the repositories in bulk:

Please keep in mind that repositories in Bitbucket Cloud have a limit of 4 GB (for each repo).

Please also note that the options I mentioned will migrate the Git repository only without any metadata.

Projects, Pull request diffs and their comments, authors, reviewers and users will not be migrated.
The only way to migrate these is with the Bitbucket Cloud Migration Assistant plugin, if you upgrade your Bitbucket Server instance to 7.0.0.

You can also check the following document with more info on how to plan a migration:

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events