Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from BitBucketCLoud to on-prem

lawrence March 11, 2020

I have searched through the questions and can find nothing related to my question.

We are currently using BitBucket CLoud and we have decided that we would like to move to BitBucket On-Prem.

I have installed bitbucket and got everything up and running.

I have two issues. The first was when I did the installation for teh forst time, I chose an internal installation. I used the Server ID I had to generate a key, but I then realised my mistake and had to delete that installation and select external database connections instead. This is from your own recommendations. I missed that the first round.

I used the same key and it seems to work but I am concerned that it might cause me hassles later.

My second question is, how can I migrate all we have on the cloud over to our on-prem installation. I cannot find anything on how and what to do.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance for your soonest reply.

Kind Regards

Lawrence

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2020

Hi Lawrence,

1. I'm pretty sure the key should be fine. If you want to be sure, you can try raising a support request with Atlassian to confirm no further action is needed from you. Or if your bitbucket server has no data and you are still on a trial license, might as well just start from scratch again and get a new Server ID / Key.
  2. There isn't much official documentation around migrating from Cloud to Server but it's fairly straight forward and there's a few answers from previously asked questions. See list below for some detail:
    • Atlassian KB which basically says use Bitbucket's "Import Repository" function. This method requires re-creating all metadata such as permissions, comments, PRs.
    • A more detailed KB on importing projects into Bitbucket Server.
    • Community post that has similar but varying answers on methods to use to import from Cloud to Server.

Hope that helps.

lawrence March 12, 2020

Daniel,

thank you very much for the direction, and I like the look of option 2 using the terminal but I am completely new to bitbucket and would appreciate some clarity.

How do I open a terminal to the bitbucket cloud environment.

The steps say that the first thing I should do is the following.
Locally, change to the root directory of your existing source.

If I think about this. locally I have not as yet created any source because it is a complete new bitbucket server installation. I do have source in bitbucket cloud. I want to migrate all the repositories from the cloud to my local installation.

So I would assume that I need to clone the current repositories. upload the clones to my local server and then make the local server the master copy. I think this is teh way to go, but am not sure what to do in the trenches.

Thanks again for your help/support.

Lawrence

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events