Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating JIRA+ Bitbucket from server to cloud

Dani Kaplan September 10, 2018

I have both jira and bitbucket on my own server. 

I want to migrate them into a cloud account - both servers.

They are now linked - so JIRA has branch related to them and vice-versa. 

how do I perform this migration ? 

3 answers

0 votes
Dani Kaplan July 9, 2021

I think that on the road of migrating everyone from server to cloud, you should offer a tool that does that automatically, preserving all metadata, history, users, and links between jira and bitbucket. 

0 votes
Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2019

Hi there,

For Jira-specific migration advice and documentation, check out:

In general, we recommend migrating performing the Jira migration first.

As you've found, we currently only support migrating repository data (your source code) from Bitbucket Server to Bitbucket Cloud. There's no supported method for migrating user accounts, permission structures, or repository metadata like pull request history and comments. We're currently gathering interesting in this feature, so if this is something you need we recommend watching or voting for this issue.

For more information about migrating from Bitbucket Server to cloud, I recommend reviewing Plan your Bitbucket Server to cloud migration

As outlined in the guide, there are a few ways to move your data to the cloud:

1. Use our repository importer to import individual repositories. To migrate using the importer, your Bitbucket Server domain needs to be publicly accessible. If it's not publicly accessible Bitbucket Cloud will not be able to access to your Bitbucket Server to perform the import.
  2. You can also create a new repository on Bitbucket Cloud, and then simply push from your local repository to the new repository in Bitbucket Cloud.
  3. If you have a lot of repositories, Bitbucket Cloud provides APIs for you to script the creation and pushing of repositories in bulk.

For more info to help you decide if moving from server to cloud is a good option for you, check out our Atlassian Cloud Migration Center

I hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to reach out with questions!

Allison Carlson July 9, 2021

@Maren - I've reviewed the Atlassian documentation on migration Bitbucket from server to Cloud, including:

Everything I've read indicates:

"There's no supported method for migrating user accounts, permission structures, or repository metadata like pull request history and comments. "

QUESTION:  does this limitation apply to JUST pull request history? or open pull requests too?

Thank you!

Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2021

Hi @Allison Carlson ,

Thanks for reaching out. I've checked with our team and they've confirmed that yes, the limitation currently applies to everything except for repository data (git history). 

They also added the following:

Current state: The git history can be migrated using the ‘import repository’ feature on Bitbucket Cloud or by using the Bitbucket Cloud Migration Assistant, which is currently in Early Access. 

The rest, which is metadata including pull request history (both open and closed), repo settings, or user/group permissions, can’t be migrated using the available tooling at this time. Using the REST API is an alternative to migrate metadata.

By the end of 2021: The Bitbucket Cloud Migration Assistant will enable this in the near future

I hope this helps, and if you have more questions just get in touch with our support team. 

Like MartinHerren likes this
0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2018

Atlassian has pretty good docs on how to migrate Jira to Cloud. Test it first and you may need to make changes and retest a few times before you get it to go. These seem to rarely go perfectly on the first try, so plan for a few iterations.

Bitbucket is a bit more messy, though.  First off, there is no way to retain Pull Request details unless you write some API magic to migrate them manually. Furthermore, you need to make sure that you don't have any open pull requests. The changesets, branches and history will all go, just not the pull requests. Essentially, you mirror each Git repo and push it to Bitbucket Cloud. I would recommend using the latest Git client you can get your hands on for the mirror and push. The Jira Issue numbers won't change when you migrate Jira, so when you hook Jira and Bitbucket Cloud together, Jira will see the commit message and automagically make the links work in Cloud.

Again, test all this very well before you start using things in Cloud. There isn't an easy way to catch up the delta of data if you end up with data in two places. Worst case, reach out to a Solutions Partner. We do a lot of these type of migrations, so we know some tricks that can smooth out the bumps. Good luck!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events