Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate user from JIRA User Directory to Bitbucket Internal Directory

Kevin Morris January 30, 2018

I have found several articles about migrating/merging users between internal directories and LDAP, but I haven't found anything related to my specific problem.

We use both JIRA Server and Bitbucket Server.  All of the user management is done in JIRA and Bitbucket simply connects to the JIRA User Directory for authentication, etc.

I need to migrate a user from the JIRA User Directory to the Bitbucket Internal Directory.  Any recommendations on how to do this without losing a connection to the user's commit history in Bitbucket as well as the issues in JIRA?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2018
Hi Kevin! We don't have a great option for this kind of migration right now. In this case it would probably be easier to manually create these users in the UI or via REST API.

To make these changes manually please try the following steps:

1. Identify the users that you need to copy and note their attributes: User name, Full Name and Password
  2. Disable the LDAP User directory in Administration > User Directories
  3. Go to Administration > Users and Add user at the top right.
  4. Manually add all the noted users in this way.
  5. Enable the LDAP Directory again.

When you re-enable the LDAP directory Stash should now label these users in the user list as part of the "Stash Internal" directory.

To test you can setup a test user in the external LDAP (Jira in this case) associate that test user with some test data in Bitbucket Server and then try the workaround mentioned above

This info can be found in our public knowledge base at How to import users from an external user directory.

There's also a feature request for that, you can vote for it at 

Is this JRASERVER-27868. 

Hope that helps!

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events