Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge checks/automatic merge ignored when merging pull request via API

Dimitri Snijder April 13, 2021

Hi all,

For a master branch, we have enabled the merge check "Check the last commit for at least 1 successful build and no failed builds" and enabled "Allow automatic merge when builds pass".

Using the Bitbucket API, we create a pull request and run two builds. 

After creating the pull request, we already merge the pull request using the Bitbucket API. By doing this, we try to achieve the following:

- When both builds pass, automatically merge the pull request in master
- When one or more builds fail, don't automatically merge the pull request in master

However, it looks like the merge checks or "Allow automatic merge when builds pass" are ignored when merging the pull request using the API. The pull request gets merged into master directly, without waiting for both builds to pass. 

The merge checks are taken into account when the pull request is merged manually using the merge button on the pull request page. The pull request doesn't get merged immediately, but it waits for both merge checks pass before merging.

Does anybody have the same problem with merging via the API and "Allow automatic merge when builds pass"?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2021

Hi @Dimitri Snijder ,

The feature to "Allow automatic merge when builds pass" is a UI feature only.

I'm afraid that it is not possible to do this via the API.

I can open a feature request in our issue tracker to add this functionality in the API as well, please feel free to let me know if you'd like me to do that.

In the meantime, the only way to prevent PRs with failed builds from getting merged when using the API would be by enforcing the merge checks, with the "Prevent a merge with unresolved merge checks option".

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events