Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintaining reviewer groups

Stacy Haller March 2, 2023

Hello -

I'm probably doing something wrong, but we started using default reviewers and reviewer groups in our Bitbucket Date Center instance.

I just received a request to add a user to a reviewer group, so I went to "groups" and added the user.  The requester did a pull request and the reviewer group did NOT contain the newly added user.

I had to into each project/repo that had the reviewer group and edit it there to add the new user.

Am I missing something?  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 answer

0 votes
Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 8, 2023

Hi Stacey,

sorry for the late reply. I understand that you have added a new user to a (reviewer?) group. Did you add the user to a group in the global Bitbucket user directory or to a repository/project reviewer group?

Out of the box Bitbucket does not provide directory based groups for selection when creating pull requests. Project and repository reviewer groups however should show up in the pull request reviewer input field when you create a pull request.

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 15.12.59.png

I recommend defining project-level reviewer groups as they are inherited by each repository in the project. You will have far less duplication and busy-work than maintaining the reviewer groups on repository level.

If you would like to define your reviewer groups on user and group directory level (this can be your company active-directory or the Bitbucket internal global user directory) _and_ use these groups as default pull request reviewers groups on project or repository level you could use Workzone for Bitbucket that we have developed for our enterprise clients.

If configured, Workzone will add members of directory-based groups as pull request reviewers automatically when a pull request is created. In case users move teams (change groups) or leave the organization entirely you or your admin only need to update the global directory and Workzone configured reviewer groups will reflect these changes automatically!

Either way, I hope I was able to help out.

Cheers, Ulrich

// Izymes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events