Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail server - Use Office 365 Direct Send config

kriegalex October 20, 2020

Hi,

Up until now, my company was using one of our Office365 account as config for the atlassian mail server functionality (also in other Atlassian products).

Because of the extreme amount of e-mails now located in the "Sent" folder of this e-mail (mine), I am trying to use another way. For now, we don't want to buy a license just to use as a dummy sending e-mail.

I've found this documentation for Office 365. The Option 2 seems intersting to indeed avoid paying for a dummy mailbox.

I've changed my TXT DNS as advised, using Bitbucket's server IP and I've configured Bitbucket as such :

screenshot_1.png

I've tried with and without the username set to equal the "Email from" field, but it doesn't work.

In the logs, it says :

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused). Failed messages: com.sun.mail.util.MailConnectException: Couldn't connect to host, port: domain-com.mail.protection.outlook.com, 25; timeout 30000;

I've checked with a DNS tool to be sure the DNS config was propagated. Of course, my config is not using domain-com, but a real one.

So, is this method supported by atlassian products ? If not, could it be, so we can use any email we want without having actually to create it as a mailbox and pay for the license ?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2020

Hi,

This should definitely work, because it's essentially unauthenticated SMTP. Based on the error, it could be caused by a firewall issue, maybe one that prevents outbound connections from your Bitbucket Server instance.

A simple test to confirm would be running something like telnet domain-com.mail.protection.outlook.com 25 to see if you're able to establish a connection or not.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

kriegalex November 11, 2020

In the end, I did not use this method for the e-mail sending, but I think you are right and I forgot to check in some firewall settings somewhere.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events