Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost access to my BitBucket/Atlassian account

Tamim Arafat May 14, 2023

This is a weird problem I discovered a month or two ago. I could not log in to my personal account & access my workspace anymore. I kept getting an "account doesn't exist" message and tried resetting it, but the password reset email never appeared in my inbox. Note that I've never gotten an email from Atlassian/BitBucket mentioning anything related to my account getting deleted, so I created this new account using the same email address in order to post on this forum.

I can still access only the public facing repositories in the projects under that workspace and push, pull & clone from my local machine. Here is an example of a repository that I can still read & write to from my machine.

How can I get myself out of this situation?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2023

Hi Tamim and welcome to the community.

The email address of your community account is not associated in any way with the Bitbucket Cloud account that has access to the workspace and repo you mentioned.

If you remember the username of the account that has access, and if you have an app password for this account that has at least Account: Read permissions, you can use the following API endpoint to get the email addresses associated with this user:

Example:

curl -u Bitbucket_Username:App_Password -X GET -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/user/emails

If there are email aliases in your account those will be returned as well, but the field is_primary will indicate the primary email of the account that you need to log in with. Please note that the API call requires an app password for authentication and not the account's password, as we have deprecated the use of account passwords for API.

If you don't remember the username or if you don't have an app password for that account, then I would suggest trying to log in to https://bitbucket.org/ from browser (and request a password reset email if needed) with any of the email addresses you own, and see if any of them logs you into the correct account. Please note that if you get asked to give a username and create a new account after logging in with a certain email, this means that there is no Bitbucket Cloud account with that email as primary, so you can skip that email from the process.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Tamim Arafat May 16, 2023

Thanks for the reply Ms Boudale,

I've discovered that I did indeed change my Bitbucket Cloud email address & forgotten about it, so that's a gaffe on my part. I've resolved the issue & regained access to my account.

Thanks again.

Like Theodora Boudale likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events