Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launch runners in background or run with -itd

Kris Lape April 27, 2023

When creating a runner, the command given by bitbucket runs it interactively. I ran with -itd and as well tried putting job in background (&). My runners say they are online but the pipelines just hang with no response (or they are running but the message isn't getting back to Bitibucket.

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2023

Hi Kris,

I assume that you are using a Linux Docker Runner?

I cannot reproduce what you are describing when starting the runner with -itd

What version of the runner are you using? If it is not the latest one, could you please update it and try again? You can update it by running

docker container rm -f runner-76b247e7-b925-5e7b-9da2-1cda14c4ff2c
docker image pull docker-public.packages.atlassian.com/sox/atlassian/bitbucket-pipelines-runner:1

where 76b247e7-b925-5e7b-9da2-1cda14c4ff2c replace with the UUID of your runner. Then, start the runner again with -itd

If you are still experiencing issues:

1. Can you check the log file of the runner for any errors?

The log file is located at /tmp/76b247e7-b925-5e7b-9da2-1cda14c4ff2c/runner.log (where 76b247e7-b925-5e7b-9da2-1cda14c4ff2c replace with the UUID of your runner).

Look for entries at the time you start the runner, and also at the time that a build is triggered. You can post them here (after sanitizing any private/sensitive data).

2. What Linux distribution are you using on the machine where the runners runs?

3. Are the minimum requirements for the runner met?

• A 64-Bit Linux instance with at least 8GB of RAM as a host for the runner.
    • More RAM may be required for builds with 2x-Steps or build services.
  • Docker v19.03 and above

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events