Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest docker image bitbucket-server:7.8.0 broken

Evgeniy Molchanov November 25, 2020

If start bitbucket server in docker with image atlassian/bitbucket-server:7.8.0-ubuntu-jdk11

then perform a restart - get error:

CRITICAL:root:Could not create log directory. The Bitbucket webapp was not started.

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matthias Kannenberg November 29, 2020

The problem is that someone screwed up the entrypoint.py's create_log_dir() function.

If the log dir does not yet exist it will properly return True if it can be created and False if not.

Unfortunately it will not return True if the log dir already exists, causing the start_bitbucket() function to fail on the "if not create_log_dir()" and not starting Bitbucket since returning nothing will ultimately evaluate to false on the check.

The temporary solution is to delete the log directory which on the next start will cause the container to go into the non-broken branch of the create_log_dir() function and behave as expected. Unfortunately this only works once and on pod restart will fail again.

The solution would be to change the entrypoint.py and add a "return True" at the end of the create_log_dir() function.

Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2020

@Matthias Kannenberg well spotted. We found the same, and issued a fix quickly (and put the necessary controls in place to prevent such things getting merged into main in future) however thanks to an oversight by yours truly, our initial rollback of those changes was not entirely successful, so a number of image tags remained on the old version. This has since been rectified and shouldn't be an issue going forward. 

Let me know if you see any other issues!

Like Evgeniy Molchanov likes this
Matthias Kannenberg November 30, 2020

Hey, first of all let me thank you! Your docker images on your private account were a great help over the years and I've been using them long before Atlassian published official ones (and still relying on your Bamboo-server one because I have not found a way to do lifecyclePostStart cmds as root for installing custom tooling / OS packages with the official image). Absolutely great work!

Thanks for fixing this issue as well!

If you are open to it, here are a few other issues I found while debugging the original issue:

1) JMX_REMOTE_AUTH is only checked for None, but not for "" when determining if it should be used

2) JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY and JVM_MEMORY_MAX are also not formally validated and having "" as values causes the env retrieval to not use the internal default values. This will cause the Xms and Xmx parameters to be set without values and the bitbucket start command to fail

Both of these things were not an issue previously and I used to have these things set as "" in my helm charts, so something must have changed in the last half a year or so. I now updated my helm chart to explicitly check for "" on my side and make sure that I will not set the env variables, but I feel like this could be more robust for other users sake.

Like Adam Brokes likes this
Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2020

@Matthias Kannenberg Thank you so much for the feedback! I started building those images when I was working as a Premier Support Engineer, and even now in my not-so-technical people leadership role I like to scratch that itch from time to time and play with Docker :) 

For now we've reverted the entrypoint rewrite so you won't run into those issues, but we plan to reintroduce those changes so I appreciate the observations and I'll pass them on. Our intention is to overcome an issue where our entrypoint would call the built in start-bitbucket.sh script to start Bitbucket (+ Elasticsearch if enabled), and this started the JVM process in such a way that we couldn't send a clean shutdown signal, meaning stopping the image would forcefully terminate the JVM. That would've bitten us in the ass at some point, so the idea is to have our entrypoint handle launching the JVM(s) directly. For now we've reverted back to launching via start-bitbucket.sh but when we redo this work I'll make sure we take your notes into account. 

Like Adam Brokes likes this
0 votes
Nicholas Bartlett November 29, 2020

Seeing the same error message with
atlassian/bitbucket-server:6.10.7

Had a working copy from the 24th, tried to pull the new copy today and getting the error now. The last update on that version shows it was "a day ago"

Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
November 30, 2020

@Nicholas Bartlett this should be fixed now. My apologies - our rebuild pipeline takes a long time to run as we compile git from source in the build in order to ship each image the highest version of git which that Bitbucket version supports. Rebuilding every 6.x and 7.x point release takes a few hours and thanks to an oversight by yours truly, we were killing the build partway through.

We've now fixed the root cause of the failure and rebuilt & republished all 6.x and 7.x images, so if you pull atlassian/bitbucket-server:6.10.7 again you should find it working now. Please let me know if you run into any other issues.

0 votes
Stefan Derungs November 29, 2020

Also happens with image for Bitbucket Server 7.4.0.

I think it is an error in the image itself.

I deployed Bitbucket Server 7.4.0 image on 11/Nov without any issues (through Docker Swarm).
Today I had to remove the stack and deploy a new one (no change to the docker-compose-yml, so I would expect that the same image is instanced).

However, deploying the new Swarm stack probably triggered a download of a new image from Docker Hub. Now the container won't start and is showing the same error as mentioned by the topic owner.

Running `docker images -a` on my machine I see:

REPOSITORY TAG IMAGE ID CREATED SIZE
atlassian/bitbucket-server <none> 4b66f976ab5d 21 hours ago 1.02GB

On Docker Hub I also see that the image with tag 7.4.0 was updated 21 hours ago.
https://hub.docker.com/layers/atlassian/bitbucket-server/7.4.0/images/sha256-c2f6eac1462a9ad71da16c03453b6d04af94506d19621c3306f64e551e118921?context=explore

Therefore, I presume that there is something inherently wrong in Atlassian's deployment pipeline causing all images to fail.

Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
November 30, 2020

@Stefan Derungs this should be fixed now. A combination of an error that snuck into the build during some maintenance work, and a failure to properly rollback 100% of our published images (we update all 6.x and 7.x releases with improvements) caused a number of tags to remain stuck on the broken version of the image.

This has since been fixed and we've put the necessary controls in place to prevent it occurring in future. A bit of human error thanks to yours truly, but if you pull your tag again you should find it working correctly now.

Let me know if you see any issues!

Stefan Derungs November 30, 2020

Great, thanks! The container is starting up again as it should :)

0 votes
Hell4Ge November 25, 2020

Since I was using an external database & environment variables I commented out the volume from my config file and its working, but this solution is only for people that do not need the mounted volume so beware.

Protean November 26, 2020

Ignore this tip, you will get 404s on repository code

0 votes
jc21com November 25, 2020

Also having this problem, I automatically use newer images daily and the overnight update has failed with this. No further information in the logs either.

jc21com November 25, 2020

Was able to resolve it by renaming the `log` folder to something else in the `bitbucket` folder of the mounted data. Then recreated my docker-compose stack though that might not be required and a simple docker restart should be enough.

0 votes
Hell4Ge November 25, 2020

happens with 7.7.1 also

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events