Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large pull request: "Can't load files"

Kobus Myburgh July 11, 2022

Hi,

I have a very large pull request affecting 1688 files and 300k lines of code (280k deletions of dead code and 20k of new code (a two month refactoring process).

When I create the pull request on Bitbucket Cloud, it creates successfully, with the message:

"This is a large pull request. Large pull requests can only be viewed by loading files individually."

However, when I click on the files tab on the right (where it has the tabs "Details | Files | Activity"), I simply get "Can't load files. Try again." Trying again does nothing.

I have reloaded the page. I have cleared cache. I have tried different browsers, I do not know what to do. Please advise.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2022

Hello @Kobus Myburgh ,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Support.

From the description you have provided, your pull request is reaching the limit for viewing the content in the UI. 

According to our documentation, diffs can't exceed the following limitations in order to be properly rendered in the UI:

• A file's diff cannot exceed 2000 changed lines or 102,400 bytes (100 KB) of raw diff data.
  • The entire diff cannot exceed 8000 changed lines.
  • The maximum number of files in a single diff is limited to 200.

Since these limits exist in order to secure stability in our platform for all users, I'd recommend you to check the diff for this specific PR locally using the following commands:

1. Check which files have changed on this branch with the following command:
    $ git diff --stat <source_branch> <destination_branch>
  2. You can filter through these files with a simple grep piping
    $ git diff --stat <source_branch> <destination_branch> | grep myFile.txt
  3. If you need to check for the diff of a specific file, you can use this command
    $ git diff <source_branch> <destination_branch> myFile.txt

We also have a feature request in our public issue tracker to implement the functionality of loading all the changed files of a Pull Request on the file tree navigation shown in the UI :

I would suggest you to add your vote there, since this helps both developers and product managers to understand the interest. Also, make sure you add yourself as a watcher in case you want to receive first-hand updates from that ticket. Please note that all features are implemented with this policy in mind.

Thank you, @Kobus Myburgh .

Kind regards,

Patrik S

Kobus Myburgh July 13, 2022

Thank you, @Patrik S. I have added my vote to the feature request. Your hints on finding diffs manually is also very helpful. Thanks!

Like Kelly McMurtrey likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events