Jira bitbucket linking branches, is it possible to be case insensitive?

George Appleton August 22, 2019

Currently we have commits automatically linking from bitbucket to Jira ticket. But for our branch naming we use lowercase, for example feature/pm-1. This doesn't link to the jira ticket PM-1 due to the case being different. Is there a way to make this checking case insensitive so jira can automatically find the branches and have them in the ticket sidebar?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Robin Stocker
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2019

There is currently no way to do that, no. Note that the documentation mentions that the key needs to be uppercase:

In all cases, the issue key must use to the default Jira key format – that is, two or more uppercase letters

There are multiple places where uppercase is required, another one is in the Bitbucket UI itself so that the issue key is turned into a link.

Is it possible for you to use uppercase for the issue key in your branch names? Also, I'm curious why you use lowercase, is it a stylistic preference or are there other reasons? :)

George Appleton August 23, 2019

It's been the standard for longer than I've been working here so I can't say for sure why. I'd assume it's for the simplicity of saying everything should be lowercase.

George Appleton August 23, 2019

I asked for you, our team leader doesn't like uppercase characters in urls.

Like # people like this
Robin Stocker
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2019

Jira has uppercase characters in all issue URLs :)

Majid Mohadjer December 10, 2020

What is the reason JIRA is requiring the key to be uppercase? 

Like # people like this
Anton Pozhidaev November 23, 2022

If Jira can only have uppercase project abbreviations (like PM-123) then why not map both upper and lower case branches/commits to the issue? I see that with commits it is actually possible but not with branches https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-16614

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events