Java JDK vs Java JRE

Sue December 17, 2013

According to the Stash documentation,

Download and install the Java Platform JDK (not the JRE) from Oracle's website.

Would like to know whats the difference and how do I determine? What kind of message would there be upon setting up Stash? I do not know if I have the right Java (jre or jdk?) installed.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2013

Hi Sue,

Actually that documentation is slightly out of date. For legacy reasons the Atlassian products required that we run with the JDK, and recently in Stash we re-evaluated that requirement and it's no longer valid.

Regarding the question, the name f the directory will usually be fairly clear about which one you have. Are you running Windows or Linux? On Linux you should probably try running 'java -version' and 'which java' and that might give you an idea.

Either way Stash will not fail if you have the JRE instead of JDK so it doesn't really matter.

I'll talk to our tech-writer as well to getting the documentation updated.

Cheers,

Charles

Sue December 17, 2013

Thanks Charles for the clarification. Was afraid that there could be a difference for the "wrong Java" installed.

0 votes
Swguild Swguild June 7, 2014

Well, the inconsistency in the docs made me pause and evalute for 30 minutes at java setup stage.. I ended up unpacking the Server JRE tarball in C:/Program Files/Java manually and setting JAVA_HOME variables to C:/Progra~1/Java/jdk.7.x/jre, not C:/Progra~1/Java/jdk.1.7.x. Also set the PATH variable accourding to java home variable

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events