Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Jenkins since updating Bitbucket Server license

Sara Burns November 26, 2023

I was not involved with the original installation of the Atlassian/Jenkins suite by an external party so do not know why decisions were made. Bit it worked until recently.

So this is a steep learning curve regarding these applications.
We only build on request from Jenkins. We are not automatically building when changes made to Bitbucket.

As part of my planning to move Bitbucket to the cloud I discovered that the latest license update had not been applied to our Bitbucket Server. Reason being they did not know the password of the generic user that was used throughout the Atlassian/Jenkins suite, - then they forgot.

I am advised that the generic user password was not as expected so it was reset to that expected. This lives on the on-prem crowd directory and is accessed by Jenkins and Bitbucket (Confluence and Jira).

I can login to both Bitbucket and Jenkins with this generic user and revised password.

The Bitbucket Server license was then updated. I could download the Bitbucket Migration Assistant.

BUT - Jenkins, which uses the generic user, no longer worked. Error 401.

using GIT_ASKPASS to set credentials
> C:\Program Files\Git\bin\git.exe fetch

I updated the credentials to use the new password. Got error 128 "Authentication failed for ...git"
ERROR: Error fetching remote repo 'origin'

Only saw that once - now gives error 128 saying "Not Licensed". "You do not have permission to access Bitbucket."

The generic user is admin or sys admin everywhere, as am I.

Next I created an App Password for the generic user in Bitbucket and tried that. Still Not Licensed.

Since then I have tried cloning the repository from Bitbucket using SourceTree and the generic user and App Password on my desktop - success.

Then tried cloning the repository from Bitbucket using git commands in the Bash shell on the Windows Server where Jenkins is installed as the generic user and App Password - success. I did need to escape a "/" in the App Password.

Tried escaping the "/" in Jenkins but got 401 error.

It would appear to me that Jenkins is not sending the credentials I am expecting when other attempts from different clients or pure git on the same server are succeeding.

I tried changing the credentials against a job under Configure Branch Sources to myself and got an error
"The selected credentials do not have permission to determine whether STR does or does not exist."
As I am a member of all the groups and an admin this seems odd. STR is a project.

Bitbucket Server - on Ubuntu - 7.6.0
Crowd - on Ubuntu
Jenkins - on Windows 2012R2 - 2.277.2
Git - on Windows 2012R2 - 2.29.2
Confluence - on Ubuntu - 7.7.3
Jira - on Ubuntu - 8.12.2
SourceTree - on Windows 10 - 3.4.13

Can you please help me debug this as we can no longer do builds.

Thanks

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events