Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue when raising the PR (all the past commit are being displayed)

Heshan Rathnapala January 16, 2023

all the past commits are being displayed in the description section when raising the PR. It keeps coming every time. Could you please help me on this? 

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2023

Hi @Heshan Rathnapala and welcome to the community!

This is the default behavior when creating a pull request. The only way of overring this would be by setting a Default description for pull requests from Repository settings. If you do this, then the default description you set is going to show when you create a PR, instead of the list with the commit messages.

Please note that this will need to be set in the destination repo, for PRs opened from a fork to the parent repo. If you don't have admin permissions to the destination repo, then an admin will need to set this, and please keep in mind that it will apply to all pull requests opened for the repo.

Just a heads up, I removed the screenshot from your post to comply with our privacy policy.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Heshan Rathnapala January 17, 2023

Hi @Theodora Boudale ,

I have one doubt , this issue is affecting only for 30% of the employees, earlier it was working fine, thats not the normal behavior as we selected the branch, it automatically showed the current commit message in the description.  What i did was after refreshing several times it worked as expected but now its not working like that.  showing all the past description after sometime when selecting destination branch.

Regards,

Heshan

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2023

Hi Heshan,

Thank you for the info. Could you please let me know what you mean when you say it was working fine earlier? Was it showing an empty description? Is this the behavior you are expecting?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Hi Thedora,

Yes after selecting the destination repo and branch, its loading my commit message in title box and empty description box, but now what is happening is after little time after showing the correct title its is changing to branch name and all past commits are loading inside description box. for other projects its working fine, only for thinair project its not working.

Thanks

If you can connect with me i can show the behavior.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
January 17, 2023

Hi Heshan,

After some further testing, I have reproduced the following:

• If I try to create a PR, and the PR has multiple commits, then the source branch name shows in the Title, and the commit messages show in the Description

• If I try to create a PR, and the PR has only one commit, then the commit message of this one commit will show in the Title, and the Description is empty

Can you please confirm if this is the behavior you are experiencing?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Hi Theodora,

second bullet point is okay, it was working like that previously, now the behavior has been changed may be the size of the project. this issue is faced by lot of employees. for other projects its working fine. only for thinair project this issue is existing. i have a proof video also.

steps:

1. after raising the PR with one commit and chose the destination repo and branch its keep showing the correct commit message in the title and description box is empy.

2. but after sometime title box content is changing and in the description box it keeps loading past commits.

even when i tried to click inside the description box screen freezed.

I hope you understand what i am gonna explain.

Regards,

Heshan

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
January 18, 2023

Hi Heshan,

I have reached out to the development team to ask for confirmation on what is the expected behavior.

You mentioned in your second step the following:

2. but after sometime title box content is changing and in the description box it keeps loading past commits.

Does this happen after the PR gets created? Or before, while you are on the PR creation page, and switching branches?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events