Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue With Repository Size

Guidance IT June 21, 2023

I am getting some warnings about a repo being over 2GB.

The history did contain some larger files from accidental commits but I used git filter-repo and was able to remove those, however the size has not changed on the server itself even though I can see the files themselves no longer exist in the history.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2023

Hello @Guidance IT  and welcome to the Community!

After doing a history rewrite to remove some files, like using git filter-branch, it's usually necessary to run a garbage collection (GC) on the server side to remove any dangling objects that were left behind by that operation. As you have multiple workspace and repositories under the account you used to post this question, in order for us to trigger the GC for you, could you share the masked workspace and repository name of the affected repository? 

For example, the masked version of the my_workspace/my_repo could be m*_*******ce/m**o. This way we can identify the correct repository to run the GC.

Thank you, @Guidance IT !
Patrik S

Guidance IT June 22, 2023

Hi @Patrik S ,

Apologies accidentally posted this as an answer!

Thanks for this, please go ahead and run gc on the server. The repository is g*-**to/o***.******i.

Thanks again.

Ollie

Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2023

Hello @Guidance IT ,

The GC was completed successfully and the size of the repository was reduced to 993MB !

Now that GC is completed, I would highly recommend you have everyone on your team remove their old copies of the repository and do a fresh clone of it. Since the old clones have a dirty history, it's better to delete them, so you don't risk pushing the dangling objects back into your cleaned repository, which would increase its size again.

Thank you, @Guidance IT !

Patrik S

Like Guidance IT likes this
Guidance IT July 4, 2023

Thank you!

Like Patrik S likes this
0 votes
Guidance IT June 22, 2023

Hi @Patrik S ,

Thanks for this, please go ahead and run gc on the server. The repository is g*-**to/o***.******i.

Thanks again.

Ollie

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events