Is there a way via API to pull the commit history for a particular branch or tag?

I am trying to validate that fixes from one branch or release are merged forward. We tend to maintain a lot of version simultaneously. Online I found that in a git repo I can do something like 

git rev-list branch1 | grep $(git rev-parse branch2)

But we don't want to have to clone every repo either (we have a lot of those too).

Any ideas?

Thank you.

2 answers

Hi Chris,

There is a REST API that allows you to retrieve the commits for a particular branch:

/rest/api/1.0/projects/{projectKey}/repos/{repositorySlug}/commits?until={branch_name}

You can also limit how many commits to return by providing a since parameter specifying the earliest commit/ref to return. The REST API is paged for performance and scalability reasons, so you will have to make quite a few calls to retrieve the full commit history. It may be more efficient to write an add-on that works directly against the Java API instead. If that sounds like a reasonable option, I recommend starting with our developer documentation.

cheers,

Tim

Thank you so much for the pointer. I'd read about and played with the commits API but somehow missed that "until" took a ref as well as a SHA. I'd dismissed "since" and "until" as time-based and not that useful to my problem, but being able to pass a ref helps a lot more. I'm hoping that we'll mostly be looking at nearby branches and won't need to pull that much data since we at most need to go back to a common ancestor, but I'll keep the plugin approach in mind. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

638 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot