Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to do git gc on remote?

JonCarlo_Garcia
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 14, 2020

The thing is with GIT Repo, once you hit 2GB limit it won't let you push anything. That means for my case, even though I already deleted large unnecessary files on my local branch history using git filter method, it still requires me to push forcibly the changes which the repo will not allow you anymore because of the said limit reached.

On the other hand, I also did git remote prune method which did not help because it seems I do not have dangling objects on my remote side which is very unlikely knowing the 2GB limit has been reached.

Note: I've also done git reset --hard method in the beginning which probably lost that commit that was reset that has big files.

1 answer

1 vote
Swetha Boyapati
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2020

Hi JonCarlo,

It is really good that you have tried all the steps at first hand. 

git remote prune will only remove the remote tracking references to remote objects from local repo. git gc is currently run by Atlassian Support team which will remove any dangling commits.
You can raise a support request with Atlassian Support selecting Technical Issues and Bugs option to run a gc on your repository to bring down the repository size. After which you can push your local changes. Please don't forget to mention your repository URL in the support ticket.

Best Regards,
Swetha

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events