Is it possible to use an S3 bucket with subfolder in the ElasticBeanstalk deploy pipe?

Douglas Kolpien April 14, 2021

Within the pipe for ElasticBeanstalk, we are looking to use the $S3_BUCKET variable to use different subfolders based on deployments, such as companybucket/beta, companybucket/feature, and so on.

However, when we set a subfolder within that variable, we get an error during deploy that reads:

An error occurred (InvalidParameterCombination) when calling the CreateApplicationVersion operation: Invalid S3 location Bucket: companybucket/beta Key: environment/environment-54-34034856.zip.

It is strange, as it can upload successfully to S3 in the line before this one:

Artifact uploaded successfully to s3://companybucket/beta/environment/environment-54-34034856.zip

My hunch is that the parameters are different for the S3 upload and the ElasticBeanstalk deploy.

Is there a workaround for this, or a better way we can use one bucket for multiple deployments?

2 answers

0 votes
Halyna Berezovska
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2021

@Douglas Kolpien indeed, we hardcode the location in s3 bucket.

Our flow right now: we upload to $APPLICATION_NAME folder.

One workaround for you is that you can pass APPLICATION_NAME as beta, but that means that application created also will be beta.

Tell us if that is ok for you, based on this we consider true S3 location support sooner or later.

Thanks for raising this and helping us to improve.

Regards, Galyna

Douglas Kolpien April 29, 2021

Thank you for the reply @Halyna Berezovska 

With our current structure, changing out APPLICATION_NAME to beta would not work.

A solution supporting true S3 location would be ideal.

We can work around this now, and keep an eye on this for future implementation.

Doug

Halyna Berezovska
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2021

@Douglas Kolpien ok, we'll discuss within a team this change, I'll notify you once we have an update for you.

Cheers, Galyna

Halyna Berezovska
Atlassian Team
June 2, 2021

@Douglas Kolpien try the next version of elasticbeanstalk pipe 0.8.0, we've introduced new S3_KEY variable

How this works:

S3_KEY: 'prod/my-application'

The result of this will be 'prod/my-application.zip' and this s3 key will be taken when registering application version from this s3 bucket path.

Regards, Galyna

0 votes
Oleksandr Kyrdan
Atlassian Team
April 23, 2021

Hi @Douglas Kolpien

Thank you for your question!

We'll investigate this feature and notify you.

Cheers,
Oleksandr Kyrdan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events