Is Client Credentials Grant Type supported by Bitbucket cloud?

I have a CLI tool that needs to manipulate Bitbucket cloud repos. I can't figure out how to do it with Authorization code grant or Implicit grant, because there's no browser. I'm new to OAuth, but it looks like the Client Credentials Grant Type is the way to go. But there's no documentation.

Is it supported?

If not, does anybody know how to do browser based OAuth from the command line?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Jason,

Yes, the Client Credentials grant type is supported by Bitbucket. Read about it here.

Bitbucket also supports app passwords. Perhaps that might be a more suitable option for your use-case (I'm only guessing your use-case, so I could be wrong). You can create a temporary password for your account and also set scopes for it. 

Let me know if this works out for you.

Oh, that documentation is nice. It'd be cool if you could do a direct link to it from https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/oauth-on-bitbucket-cloud-238027431.html, or even combine them.

But app passwords might work better. Is there documentation about them somewhere?

Hi Jason,

I'll be sure to ping one of our IX people and let them know about this inconsistency.

We released app passwords recently and the documentation for them lives here.

Hey Jason,

I'm in the process of updating much of this documentation and moving some of it to our new API docs area. I'm working on a new authentication section which also includes app passwords. It's still in a pretty early state but we are working on improvements.

Happy coding,

Dan

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,319 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you