Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Client Credentials Grant Type supported by Bitbucket cloud?

Jason Brackins August 1, 2016

I have a CLI tool that needs to manipulate Bitbucket cloud repos. I can't figure out how to do it with Authorization code grant or Implicit grant, because there's no browser. I'm new to OAuth, but it looks like the Client Credentials Grant Type is the way to go. But there's no documentation.

Is it supported?

If not, does anybody know how to do browser based OAuth from the command line?

1 answer

2 votes
abhin-atl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2016

Hi Jason,

Yes, the Client Credentials grant type is supported by Bitbucket. Read about it here.

Bitbucket also supports app passwords. Perhaps that might be a more suitable option for your use-case (I'm only guessing your use-case, so I could be wrong). You can create a temporary password for your account and also set scopes for it. 

Let me know if this works out for you.

Jason Brackins August 1, 2016

Oh, that documentation is nice. It'd be cool if you could do a direct link to it from https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/oauth-on-bitbucket-cloud-238027431.html, or even combine them.

But app passwords might work better. Is there documentation about them somewhere?

abhin-atl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2016

Hi Jason,

I'll be sure to ping one of our IX people and let them know about this inconsistency.

We released app passwords recently and the documentation for them lives here.

DrSnigglypoof
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 1, 2016

Hey Jason,

I'm in the process of updating much of this documentation and moving some of it to our new API docs area. I'm working on a new authentication section which also includes app passwords. It's still in a pretty early state but we are working on improvements.

Happy coding,

Dan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events