Inactive Lambda vs Bitbucket Pipelines Pipe: AWS Lambda Deploy

Joao Clemente January 25, 2023

Bitbucket Pipelines Pipe: AWS Lambda Deploy

(https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/aws-lambda-deploy)

Dear support, I am troubleshooting a Bitbucket pipeline our company has leveraged to deploy an AWS Lambda function. We have found out that the pipeline fails to update a function if this is in a "Inactive" state.

Indeed, the documentation of the Pipeline Pipe says

"

Details

This pipe checks for lambda to be in Active State and LastUpdateStatus Successful before start executing.

Information about lambda states: AWS lambda states.

"

However, by reading the AWS documentation, it is not obvious for me/us why is the pipeline checking for that particular state, and does not act also on "Inactive State":

- In our case, the Lambda we are trying to update is in "Inactive State" and "LastUpdateStatus Successful"

- If I'm reading the AWS documentation correctly (https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/compute/tracking-the-state-of-lambda-functions/), it says "NOTE: Functions can only be updated if they are in the Active or Inactive state. Update commands issued against functions that aren’t in the Active or Inactive state will fail before execution."

Could you please clarify or accept a suggestion to update the Pipeline code to also work when the function is on "Inactive State" ?

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Igor Stoyanov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2023

@Joao Clemente hi. Thanks for investigation.

Good catch. We will additionally check this and notify you about new version if we decide to implement your suggestion.

Regards, Igor

Joao Clemente February 1, 2023

Thanks you Igor for the acknowledgement. Let me know if I can help any further ( e.g. submitting an PR - I think this would be a "one-liner" against https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/aws-lambda-deploy/src/master/pipe/pipe.py#lines-257 ).

Is there any way to know if this was tracked internally (maybe as an issue in your "PIPES" project), so that we could have a reference to a tracker and an expectation of when possibly we would see an update merged into master?

Thank you!

Igor Stoyanov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2023

@Joao Clemente  our team has this task in JIRA backlog (where you do not have access), scheduled on next sprint, so new version will approximately be available on February 20 if nothing changes.

We have an option to create issues to track status, for this issues we collecting votes and then decide if we should include the feature to our pipe. But since current task is already in our internal JIRA, we skipped this process.

I will notify in this topic when new version will become available.

If you do not want to wait so much time and want to have changes "right now" there is a way to write your own pipe based on our version of the pipe. More info here.

Also you could create a pr to existing pipe. Check contributing page. 

For your case i suggest you to wait official release or create your custom own pipe.

Regards, Igor.

Igor Stoyanov
Atlassian Team
February 10, 2023

@Joao Clemente hi. Our team released a new version 1.8.0 of aws-lambda-deploy pipe.

According to README, now:

This pipe checks for lambda to be in Active or Inactive State and LastUpdateStatus not equal InProgress before start executing.

Regards, Igor

Joao Clemente February 27, 2023

Thank you Igor and entire team, we updated and to the new release and it is working correctly now under our conditions! Problem solved :-) I'll click the "Accept Answer" now.

With Best Regards,

Joao

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events