It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

In a pull request review (diff), what is the meaning of the colors of the files in the list?

Tia Sims May 07, 2018

When viewing a "pull" request, I click on "diff".  I see a list of file names on the left and the differences for the file I clicked on the right.

The file name colors are brown, blue-grey, green, light blue-grey, and red.  I can guess that red means a file was removed.  But,  what about the other colors?  What do they indicate?

1 answer

0 votes
Stefan Petrucev Atlassian Team May 17, 2018

Hi Tia,

In the diff view there is a file tree showing all of the changes for that pull request. The colour of a particular file indicates the file change type:

• Green - ADDED (a new file was added)
  • Blue - MODIFIED (an existing file was modified)
  • Brown - COPIED (an existing file was copied to create a new file)
  • Brown - MOVED (an existing file was moved to a new path)
  • Red - REMOVED (an existing file was removed)

Git is used to determine what the change type of a file is. See "git help diff-tree" for more information.

A bolded file indicates that you have not yet viewed that file since the last time it was changed. Clicking on a file will unbold it, and it will remain unbolded unless a commit is pushed to the source branch of the pull request which modifies that file.

Kind regards,
Stefan Petrucev
Atlassian Bitbucket

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket Pipelines

Building a Bitbucket Pipe as a casual coder

...ipe.sh :  #!/bin/bash source "$(dirname "$0")/common.sh" enable_debug extra_args="" if [[ "${DEBUG}" == "true" ]]; then extra_args="--verbose" fi # mandatory variables R...

1,934 views 1 19
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you