Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was sent a repo invitation to my "alias" email address so can not accept. How can I fix?

mmynsted June 4, 2021

I was sent an invitation to a bitbucket repository. The invitation used my email alias address rather than the primary email for my account. How do I accept the invitation?

"
We sent the invitation to aliasaddress@fakemail.com, but you're logged in with primaryemail@fakemail.com. Log out and log back in with your details for aliasaddress@fakemail.com.
"

The error message suggests something that is not possible.

I can not do that because both email addresses are assigned to the same account.

I do not want to ask the person who invited me to change email addresses. How can I make the alias address work?

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2021

Hi @mmynsted ,

Bitbucket Cloud uses Atlassian accounts for authentication (the ones for https://id.atlassian.com/). Every Bitbucket Cloud account is linked to an Atlassian account, and the email of that is considered to be the primary one. Only that email can be used for logging in to Bitbucket website and also for invitations. Email aliases are for Git aliasing only.

Invitations to email aliases will prompt users to create a new Bitbucket account with the alias in order to accept the invitation.

I'm afraid that the invitation needs to be resent to the primary email of your account, as this is the email used for authorization and authentication.

Kind regards,
Theodora

mmynsted June 7, 2021

I am going to see if I can change my primary email to the other address. I hope that is possible.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2021

Hi @mmynsted ,

This should be possible, as long as no Atlassian account exists for the email alias.

In case there is an Atlassian account for the emails alias, you'll need to delete it first, so you can then make the email change.

You can find here instructions on how to delete it (in case it exists):

I would suggest following this process in an Incognito/Private window, to avoid accidental deletion of your current Bitbucket and Atlassian account.

Please also note the following (I am quoting from the doc above):

Before we permanently delete your account, you’ll have a 14-day grace period, during which the account will appear as temporarily deactivated. You have until the grace period is over to cancel the deletion.

If there is an Atlassian account for your email alias, it will get deleted 14 days after you initiate the deletion, and then you'll be able to make the email change.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Kind regards,
Theodora

mmynsted June 7, 2021

I have exactly one Atlassian account, so there are no other accounts to delete. I used to have a trello account that was separate but it used the same primary email address and had no alias. I associated it with the id.atlassian.com account so now both bitbucket and trello use the same primary email, the one I want changed.

I removed the alias email address from bitbucket.

When I attempted to change my primary email address  I got emails from Atlassian saying the email address is associated with an account still. It is not.

I tried logging out and logging back it just to make sure it was removed, and made the change again. I get a message now that I have made too many email changes in a 24 hour period. I have actually made zero successful primary email address changes. 

This is not looking promising. I do not know why Atlassian thinks there is an account with the alias email address, or how to fix this.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
June 8, 2021

Hi @mmynsted ,

I'm sorry to hear that the process has been frustrating. If you got a message that the email is already associated with an account, it looks that there is an Atlassian account for this email in our system. It is possible to fix this though.

As mentioned above, I would suggest taking the following steps in an Incognito/Private window to avoid accidental deletion of your current Bitbucket and Atlassian account.

1. First, request a password reset email for the email alias via https://id.atlassian.com/login/resetpassword

2. After you reset the password, log in to https://id.atlassian.com/ with the email alias

3. Ensure you are logged in to the correct account by double checking the email here: https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/email

4. You will find the option to delete the account here: https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/account-preferences

The account will get deleted 14 days after you initiate the deletion, and then you'll be able to make the email change.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or run into any issues.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Like Beata Hidvegi likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events