Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I reduced my repo size but bitbucket's size has increased, what can I do?

Nahuel January 4, 2021

Hello,

My repository was about to hit the 2.0GiB limit, so I ran BFG as suggested by Atlassian's docs but the repo size went to 2.26GiB, despite it only being less than a quarter of that size.

Running git count-objects -Hv shows the following:

count: 0
size: 0 bytes
in-pack: 61822
packs: 1
size-pack: 348.77 MiB
prune-packable: 0
garbage: 0
size-garbage: 0 bytes

What can I do to have the GC run on my repo?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2021

Hi @Nahuel ,

I see that you opened a support ticket for this issue and one of the engineers ran a git gc on your repo and its size has been reduced.

I just wanted to add a note here, also for any other users who may come across your post: if you rewrite history and push to Bitbucket, the size of the remote repo will get increased. This is because the remote repo will contain both new references and old references (prior to history rewriting). A git gc is needed on the remote repo to have the old references removed and then the repo's size will get reduced.

If we have the repo URL , we can trigger a git gc. If you don't feel comfortable sharing it here, a ticket can be opened with the support team via https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/. In "What can we help you with?" select "Technical issues and bugs" and then Bitbucket Cloud as product.

A git gc on the remote repo can be triggered by the support team at the moment, we have a feature request to allow users to do so as well:

Please feel free to let us know if you need anything further.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Nahuel January 7, 2021

Thanks!

Like Theodora Boudale likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events