Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I reduced my repo size but bitbucket's size has increased, what can I do?

FerFrassia July 31, 2020

Hello,

My initial repo size was 1.68GB. I followed the steps described here https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/reduce-repository-size/ - and reduced it using BFG.

Now bitbucket shows my repo size as 1.71GB (which is larger).

However, when I clone it again the folder size on my computer is 861.9MB.

And running git count-objects -Hv gives me:
count: 0
size: 0 bytes
in-pack: 23767
packs: 1
size-pack: 793.95 MiB
prune-packable: 0
garbage: 0
size-garbage: 0 bytes

what can I do?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2020

Hi @FerFrassia, thanks for reaching out!

I've run git gc in your remote repository and the size has decreased to 792.1 MB. It's normal that this happens from time to time, Bitbucket has automated gc that happen in the background for this reason. 

When you push changes to your repository, any objects that become orphan are not immediately deleted. Let's say you amended a commit by changing all of its files and pushed the new version – in that case the previous version of that commit (commit object, tree object and blob objects for every file) becomes loose and can be deleted. However, for the sake of performance Git just inserts the new objects and doesn't always delete the old objects straight away. Instead, it runs the so-called garbage collection from time to time, which is a mechanism to identify loose objects and delete them.

Normally garbage collection is triggered automatically when you push commits to your repository, however it doesn't happen on every push because GC is potentially quite expensive operation, especially when the repository becomes large. Our Git configuration has some heuristics around when and what kind of GC to trigger (it has several levels of "aggressiveness").

Under normal circumstances, any loose objects will eventually be deleted as long as you keep working on the repository by making new pushes. But for some time Bitbucket would show a larger repository size than it actually is. 

Hope that explains why it happened! 

Have a good day,

Ana

FerFrassia August 3, 2020

Thanks Ana!

Like Ana Retamal likes this
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2020

You're welcome! If you need anything else in the future, let us know :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events