Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

I'd like to know if changing the remote URL setting of a repository will affect our GIT process.

I have a working knowledge of GIT but am still new to many of it's facets and leery of royally screwing things up. 

We have an issue where we (a small software development team) have a main (origin) repository on one of our servers and two additional repositories on different servers for our live web site and development web site.  The remote URL setting for each of the web server repositories' configuration files is tied to the account of a person no longer with the company, I'll call him Ralph.  By default, all pulls, pushes and commits are recorded as being performed by Ralph.

While I have finally figured out how to use the

git -c user.name='<my_name>' -c user.email='<my_email_address>' commit -m "commit description"

command to make commits under my own name, I'd like to create a more generic BitBucket account named "developers" and use it in the remote URL settings for both of the web server's repositories.

As previously noted I'm not a GIT guru and would really appreciate some input as to any potential 'gotchas' from making this move.

Thanks.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

New improvements to user management in Bitbucket Cloud 👥

Hey Community! We’re willing to wager that quite a few of you not only use Bitbucket, but administer it too. Our team is excited to share that we’ll be releasing improvements throughout this month of...

3,884 views 10 16
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you