Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like to know if changing the remote URL setting of a repository will affect our GIT process.

Michael Lindberg January 20, 2021

I have a working knowledge of GIT but am still new to many of it's facets and leery of royally screwing things up. 

We have an issue where we (a small software development team) have a main (origin) repository on one of our servers and two additional repositories on different servers for our live web site and development web site.  The remote URL setting for each of the web server repositories' configuration files is tied to the account of a person no longer with the company, I'll call him Ralph.  By default, all pulls, pushes and commits are recorded as being performed by Ralph.

While I have finally figured out how to use the

git -c user.name='<my_name>' -c user.email='<my_email_address>' commit -m "commit description"

command to make commits under my own name, I'd like to create a more generic BitBucket account named "developers" and use it in the remote URL settings for both of the web server's repositories.

As previously noted I'm not a GIT guru and would really appreciate some input as to any potential 'gotchas' from making this move.

Thanks.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events