Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

I changed the username and lost access permissions (clone, push)

Hi, I changed the username of my personal account, following the instructions in the link:

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/change-a-workspace-id/

But both in bitbucket cloud and local repository I lost access to both clone any other repo of my account in my pc and push any local repo from my pc. 

When I try to do a push, it opens a login window but my account credentials in the browser (which are correct) throw an error and when I try to clone a repository it shows I don't have access.

I can't generate a new ssh key because it is associated with the bitbucket account of the company where I work.

I appreciate guidance to recover cli access to my account. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Juan,

The documentation you linked concerns changing the workspace id of a workspace and not a username. If you change the workspace id of a workspace, the URL of any repo belonging to this workspace is going to change as well. This means that you will need to update the remote URL of your local clone so that it uses the new workspace id. Details are provided in the same documentation, section "Update the URL in your configuration file".

You can use the following command in the directory of your local clone to see its remote URL:

git remote -v

If you are using SSH, the output will look like

origin git@bitbucket.org:<workspace_ID>/<repo_name>.git (fetch)
origin git@bitbucket.org:<workspace_ID>/<repo_name>.git (push)

You can change the remote URL of the repo with a command like the following:

git remote set-url origin git@bitbucket.org:<workspace_ID-New>/<repo_name>.git

where <workspace_ID-New> replace with the new workspace id
origin replace with the name of your remote, if different

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Hi Theodora, 

Thanks for the guidance, I changed both the workspace name and the username and I was able to update the remote URL, but to use my personal repository I had to use the ssh key that I had registered in the company's repository. My question is if I'm going to have to keep changing the key between them or is there a better way to use both accounts on my machine. Thanks in advance.

Hi Juan,

Thank you for the clarification. If I understand correctly, you have two Bitbucket Cloud accounts (personal and work), and you would like to use SSH with both of them from the same machine, is that correct?

In this case, you will need to generate one more SSH key pair, upload the public key of SSH key pair 1 to one account, and then upload the public key of SSH key pair 2 to the other account. You will additionally need to make some configuration changes locally so that the correct key is used for each repo.

The following blog post has step-by-step instructions on how to do that:

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events