Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't log in to my Bitbucket account.

Craig Niederberger July 4, 2016

I'll bet I'm not the only one, but I've Googled a bunch and can't quite find the solution.

I've been using–and can still use by manually pushing or through the Xcode git interface–Bitbucket. I have an account with a username that is not my email.

I created an Atlassian account with a username that is my email.

If I try to log in to my Bitbucket account through the web interface at https://bitbucket.org/account/signin/, I get the error, "You must use your email address when authenticating with your Atlassian account."

If I then log in with my Atlassian account email and password, it says, "Success! Almost done. Please choose a username for your Bitbucket account." If I then enter my Bitbucket username it says "that username already exists."

How can I access my existing Bitbucket account?

3 answers

1 vote
Soham Dave July 9, 2018

I have a similar issue; until yesterday; I was able to navigate the web, commit using TortoiseGit no issues;

Today morning pop-up appears asking me email/user-name and password; using the same email and password I use for Atlassian account which is managed by Google.  Fails all the time

I already tried reset password but in vain; redirects me to Atlassian password reset page from where I receive the email and this does not ask me new password instead logs me back in successfully; Which is correct as my Atlassian account is hooked to Google

If I log out from Atlassian and sign back in using Google authentication and navigate to bitbucket; it's fine

But cannot use the same credentials to perform GIT operations via git commands or tortoise git or Sourcetree 

login.PNGcommit error.PNG

BTW; I am posting this using the same account

Fix it ASAP

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2018

Hi Dave

Sorry about that - it looks like we missed updating an error message state.

Since your account is managed by Google, you will have to use an App password instead of your password: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/app-passwords-828781300.html

We'll get that error message fixed ASAP.

Alastair
Bitbucket

0 votes
Sunil Raman August 9, 2018

Try installing the latest Windows Git Credential Manager: https://github.com/Microsoft/Git-Credential-Manager-for-Windows/releases 

0 votes
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2016

Hi Craig - apologies that you're experiencing issues logging in. Would you mind dropping an email to support at bitbucket dot org so we can take a look at your account specifically? Thanks!

Sadly I can't log into Bitbucket dot org–the fundamental problem cited in the post.

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
July 4, 2016

Indeed, sorry about that! You can email us directly without having to log in.

Got it--thanks!

arulk July 8, 2016

I have same issue.  How do I fix this ?

Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2016

Make sure you are logging in using your primary email address and password. This is the same email address shown on the migration screen.

If you're getting the 'choose your username' screen, it likely means you're trying to log in with a secondary email address, which is no longer supported.

dzollars April 15, 2019

What is a "secondary email address?" That's not an actual term. Basically you are requiring me to use a different email address than the one I would prefer to use, which I've used for years and is a perfectly legitimate email address. What's going on?

Seshasai Palavalli October 30, 2019

I am facing the same issue via web login. The browser window title says "OpenID transaction in Porgress" with URL "https://bitbucket.org/socialauth/login/atlassianid/?next=%2F" and page is blank.

I tried logging in from different browsers on windows and mac. So far the issue remains.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events