• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Howto handle "Too many unreachable loose objects"-warning

Hi!

We currently switched to Stash from a standard Git repository. Stash has been handling our repository for about a month now and we are starting to se alot of warnings of this kind:

"warning: There are too many unreachable loose objects; run 'git prune' to remove them."

when pushing. As far as I can understand we want to run "git prune" and/or "git gc" in the repository that Stash has. My first thought was that there must be some maintenance setting available in Stash already, but I can't seam to find anything like that.

So, how do we handle this and get rid of the warning?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Mangan,

Are you seeing that error prefixed with 'remote: '? That is to say, do the Stash repostitories require repacking, or is it your local version?

If it's the latter you might just want to try running 'git gc' locally to see if that fixes it. If not, you can use the Stash Git Ops plugin which allows you to run 'gc' on Stash repositories via the UI:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.stash.plugin.stash-git-ops-plugin

I hope this helps.

Charles

This was what I was looking for. Unfortunatally it didn't seem to solve the exact problem I am seeing, but beeing able to run clean up in a Stash repository is nice.

Like DrunkenMonkey likes this

You could try with `--prune=now`  or run `git prune --expire=now` if you have that capability. 

It's a somewhat dangerous command though.  I came here looking for a safe alternative, but it doesn't seem there is one.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Calling any interview participants for Bitbucket Data Center

Hi everyone,  We are looking to learn more about development teams’ workflows and pain points, especially around DevOps, integrations, administration, scale, security, and the related challeng...

464 views 4 4
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you