How to use subtrees in a Team

When I Add a subtree it all works great locally.  However it seems all the subree information is lost when it hits bitbucket, so a team member who clones the repository doesn't see the subtree info.  

so I have :-

image2016-6-24 14:33:2.png

Then I clone that somewhere else

image2016-6-24 14:33:45.png

nothing.

So if a team member changes something in project "LetterA" they don't have it setup so they can push their change to the lib repository.

As far as I can tell, the only reason why sourcetree knows of subtrees is because it records in "sourcetreeconfig" that there are some.    But how do you share this with a whole team ?

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Why did you choose subtrees over submodules?

submodules caused all kinds of grief when branching and merging and just feel clunky

However, I've abandoned subtrees now...  and gone with subrepos

https://github.com/ingydotnet/git-subrepo

It solves the problem really nicely ( though it is all command line, but pretty straight forward )

When Linus talked about Git at Google in 2007, one of the features he mentioned was its capability to handle repositories of repositories.

I hit the same problem with subtrees and bitbucket. Does anyone have an answer?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,207 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you