How to use generated SSH-KEY in pipelines?

jai March 5, 2019

I generated a key pair in repo -> settings -> ssh keys

and copied the pub key to autorized_keys of server

and added the fingerprint on bitbucket too

but my pipelines fail with

File "<decorator-gen-3>", line 2, in run  
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fabric/connection.py", line 29, in opens
self.open()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fabric/connection.py", line 615, in open
self.client.connect(**kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/paramiko/client.py", line 437, in connect
passphrase,
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/paramiko/client.py", line 749, in _auth
raise saved_exception
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/paramiko/client.py", line 662, in _auth
key_filename, pkey_class, passphrase
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/paramiko/client.py", line 571, in _key_from_filepath
key = klass.from_private_key_file(key_path, password)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/paramiko/pkey.py", line 206, in from_private_key_file
key = cls(filename=filename, password=password)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/paramiko/ed25519key.py", line 76, in __init__
data = self._read_private_key("OPENSSH", f)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/paramiko/pkey.py", line 289, in _read_private_key
raise SSHException("not a valid " + tag + " private key file")
paramiko.ssh_exception.SSHException: not a valid OPENSSH private key file

Do I really need to store the private key in pipelines env var ?

Can't the pipeline pick up the default identity by itself?

Any help is welcome

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Graham Gatus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2019

If you inspect the ~/.ssh/config directory in your pipeline, it contains an entry for IdentityFile, which points to the location of the private key which was generated via the UI. This location resolves to  '/opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/ssh/id_rsa'. Using tools such as git or ssh, they would check ~/.ssh/config to find the key location.

I notice you are using a python based tool - theres a possibility it is looking for the private key under ~/.ssh/, which doesn't exist. If this is the case, you can either configure the tool to use the correct location (/opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/ssh/id_rsa), or copy the key from /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/ssh/id_rsa to under ~/.ssh/ to satisfy the tools requirements.

Storing keys in environment variables would only be necessary if you required multiple keys as Pipelines currently only supports adding a single key via the UI (e.g ssh into multiple services, or using git+ssh for committing back to Bitbucket and ssh for connecting to a remote server).

jai March 6, 2019

Thanks Graham

Explicit path to key worked.

Like Oleksandr Kyrdan likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events