Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to switch Bitbucket to read-only mode

Nagaraju Doddi June 21, 2020

Hi, 

We recently migrated all the Bitbucket repos to Github. I want to make all the repos under Bitbucket to read-only. Any idea how i can make whole Bitbucket to read-only mode ?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tyler T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2020

Do you want to make them public?

The first step would be to remove all the users with admin and write access - or change their permissions to read.

Nagaraju Doddi June 23, 2020

No, I want to keep them in private mode itself but want to change the bit bucket to maintenance mode. Change all the users and groups permissions to read-only from write access. since in my bit bucket  there are number of projects and repos(700) Not sure how i can make all the groups/user to read-only at one shot

Tyler T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2020

Ok.. go to the workspace and click the members tab.

• Select Manage users
  • Select the group you want to manage
  • Click the Edit button
  • Change Default repository access to Read
  • Uncheck the permissions to Create Repositories and Administer Workspaces

Thanks Tyler. It will work for the groups but we also gave explicit permissions at user level as well for repositories. I mean for few repositories we granted access to users not groups.

How i can change the users permissions to read-only as well if some one has write-access

Tyler T
Atlassian Team
June 23, 2020

In your workspace settings, you can visit the Users on plan view to see which users have access to repositories and then manage their access using the links next to the user. 

Thank you Tyler_T

Nithya Ananda July 21, 2022

How can we do the same in DC / Server environment ?

Like # people like this
Murthy Guntuku April 17, 2024

@Tyler T , do you have any work around for the server product?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events