How to stop a pull request from being merged?

In our BitBucket configuration it is possible to add changes to the pull request and merge it after the initial approval is given.

The scenario:

1) Create a pull request from the dev branch to master

2) Approve it by someone else

3) Push more changes to the same branch dev branch. The changes now appear in the same pull request

For some reasons, the new changes do not require an approval and can be merged now along with the main change.

Can we change BitBucket configuration in such a way that every new change to the pull request resets the number of approvals to zero?

3 answers

The free Bitbucket Server Auto Unapprove Plugin probably does what you're looking for.

It's free, open source, and maintained by Atlassian.   In a couple weeks I'm hoping it will stop dropping approvals for immaterial changes (like clean rebases, clean synchronization merges, amended commit messages, etc).

- Sylvie

(I'm the author of the paid Bit-Booster for Bitbucket Server add-on. If you check out my add-on, you'll see why I decided to send a pull-request to the Unapprove add-on.   Customers were reporting bugs against *my* add-on to say my Rebase button was dropping their approvals!)

This widget could not be displayed.

If you're using Bitbucket Cloud (bitbucket.org) then there's a "Reset approvals when the source branch of a pull request is modified" option in the branch permissions.

This widget could not be displayed.

Unfortunately, we use our own local installation.

If you can tag this question (and any future ones) as "bitbucket-server", then that will help clarify things for the people answering them.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,319 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you