Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup my SSH on two different computers?

mk_street July 7, 2019

I have two computers.  One at home and one at my office.

Somehow, long ago, I got SSH setup at home.  So I can push/pull from all my repositories using SSH.

At my office, I always have to enter my password.  I have tried different ways to setup SSH at my office, but it never works.  

At work, do I need to setup a new user ID and connect that to my repositories with its own SSH?  Do I need to copy the SSH file from home to my work computer?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 8, 2019

Hello @mk_street,

You can go with either of the options you mentioned:

• you can copy your SSH key you have at home to your machine at work
  • you can generate another SSH key at work and add it to Bitbucket as another SSH key in your account

From security perspective I'd recommend to use different keys so that your private SSH key is never copied around, and so that you can rotate these keys independently when needed.

I always have to enter my password.

This really depends on how you configured your SSH key and agent. If you meant you have to enter your Bitbucket account password, not SSH key password, then check clone URL in your local copy of the repository – it is probably HTTPS, not SSH and hence is using HTTP authentication.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Daniil

mk_street July 8, 2019

Hello and thank you very much.

I got it working.  I think the key step I was missing was changing the URL in 

git config --local --edit   to the SSH value.  It still had the HTTPS value.

Thanks again!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events