Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set the default workspace for my account

danik-ik March 27, 2023

I have two workspaces, associated with my account, for example "Old" and "New". "Old" always the default when I log in.

Today I mainly work with "New". "Old" contains projects that have become history. But whenever I create a new project, Bitbucket prompts me to create it in "Old". I want to change this behavior but I don't see anything to do so.

Is it possible to change the default workspace for my account?

4 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Patrik S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2023

Hello all, and thank you for reaching out to Community!

We have recently changed the bitbucket navigation to a single workspace view to align closer with other Atlassian Cloud products like Jira Software and Confluence Cloud (see Improving navigation for bitbucket users). With this change, when directly accessing bitbucket.org you will be redirected to the last workspace you visited, but not considering your personal workspace.

As we know that this might not be ideal for users that mainly work in personal workspaces, we have raised a feature request to add the ability for users to define a default/favorite workspace to be redirected when accessing bitbucket.org. This feature request can be accessed at the following link :

I would suggest you to add your vote there, since this helps both developers and product managers to understand the interest. Also, make sure you add yourself as a watcher in case you want to receive first-hand updates from that ticket. Please note that all features are implemented with this policy in mind.

The workaround, while that feature is not available, is to access the direct workspace link using the following pattern:

https://bitbucket.org/<workspaceID>

This should redirect you to the exact workspace you specify in the <workspaceID>. You can also bookmark that direct workspace URL into your browser, so it's easily accessible.

Thank you!

Patrik S

neilmendoza August 17, 2023

Hi @Patrik S this shouldn't be in your system as a feature request, it's a bug that needs fixing. Look at the discussion in that issue. Adding a default workspace would be a feature but personal workspaces not being taken into account when you determine the last used workspace is most definitely a bug.

Like # people like this
komisia August 23, 2023

@Patrik S 

it's bug, because personal workspace is also workspace.

also, workspace navigation menu knows which is the last (viewed/edited) and suggests correctly.

but redirection from base url has missed this logic.

Like # people like this
EarMaster
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 13, 2024

This should be a user configurable option. This having such a low priority can only mean the workspaces feature is not intended for production use.

Like # people like this
5 votes
sinanilyas November 23, 2023

I can't believe this is not fixed yet. Why would I even want to see some other guy's workspace instead of my own when I open Bitbucket?

daputzy November 24, 2023

indeed

Like # people like this
neilmendoza November 24, 2023

I actually found a pretty great workaround for this bug. When you enter the URL, you just need to spell it github.com and then you magically get shown your own repos when you log in, pretty neat.

Like # people like this
sinanilyas November 27, 2023

i didn't understand your workaround. @neilmendoza 

neilmendoza November 27, 2023

@sinanilyas Give up on bitbucket and start using github as this doesn't look like it's getting fixed any time soon.

Like jtho2607 likes this
sinanilyas November 27, 2023

@neilmendozaSorry, my bad. I didn't get your subtle joke :)

0 votes
Deleted user October 16, 2023

This is unsatisfactory. A workaround I found is to delete Chrome's autocomplete for just "bitbucket" (keeping only the workspace path for the workspace I need as default).

(source: https://superuser.com/a/1402013)

Effectively, start typing, arrow down to the auto-completes that will do this (i.e., are fully specified), and press shift+delete to remove them from auto-complete. Now, start going to bitbucket.org -> get an autocomplete for bitbucket.org/<workspace id>

0 votes
Felwin June 18, 2023

Got same issue and was able to fix it by renaming the one I wanted to be the default one.

To make it clear you should rename "New" as "New2" see if it became the default one and then rename it "New" again.

komisia August 23, 2023

It does not work on own/personal workspace.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events