How to send build details to deployment dashboard in bitbucket pipeline?

saddam shaikh February 23, 2022

I want to send build details to deployment dashboard without using deployment tag in pipeline. I have created a custom pipeline to deploy an application to a specific environment based on input provided by user and currently, it seems, deployment tag is not accepting dynamic value.

I was looking for an API that can send data to deployment dashboard but no luck.

pipeline deploy step looks like below

- step:

name: Deploy to test

deployment: $env

script: - python deploy.py test

Also is there any other way by which we can track build number that's been deployed to specific environment ex. production.

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2022

Hi @saddam shaikh and welcome to the community!

The only way to view deployments in the deployment dashboard is by

1. Defining the deployment environments in Repository settings > Deployments
2. Then use the deployment keyword with a valid environment name in your bitbucket-pipelines.yml file

It is not possible to do this with API or in any other way, and you are right that the deployment keyword does not accept variables.

This has been requested by other users as well and we have a feature request in our issue tracker:

If you'd be interested in this feature, I would suggest adding your vote in the feature request (by selecting the Vote for this issue link) as the number of votes helps the development team and product managers better understand the demand for new features.

You are more than welcome to leave any feedback, and you can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Implementation of new features is done as per our policy here and any updates will be posted in the feature request.

In the meantime, the only way to make this work would be by creating one step for each environment and using the environment name in each definition. If the same script is used for all deployments, you could perhaps make use of YAML anchors:

Additionally, it is possible to define deployment variables in each environment:

If the script you are using is referencing a specific variable that has a different value for each environment, you can define the variable in all environments with the same name but a different value for each environment.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events