How to run Stash using port 443

RGC August 24, 2015

I am currently running SSL/HTTPS Stash using port 8443..

Because of the company policy.. I have to run this in 443 instead of 8443..

I configured server.xml 

<Connector port="8443" to <Connector port="443"

but after this configuration.. the server is not starting at all.. 

When I run netstat -plten | grep java command.. I don't see 443 running.. (other than 443 is running)

Do I have to make any other changes? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2015

Unless you run Stash as root, you can't (in most Linux distros) bind to port 443.  Running Stash as root is not good practice because malicious code then as root access to the entire machine.

So the next best approach is to run Stash as a non-root use and use something like Apache to configure a reverse proxy.  Apache runs as root and re-directs traffic to Stash running on the same server.  This is documented here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/stash/securing-stash-with-apache-using-ssl-364609803.html

Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2015

You can. You will need something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authbind

0 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2015

If running on linux as a service you have to allow it open the privileged port. That's a os specific setting / command, not in stash.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events