- npm run build-prod
- pipe: atlassian/sftp-deploy:0.5.4
variables:
USER: $USER
SERVER: $SERVER
REMOTE_PATH: '/var/www/html/'
LOCAL_PATH: 'dist/*'
EXTRA_ARGS: 'rm *'

I'm trying to delete the files previously deployed on the remote server before copying the new ones but the EXTRA_ARGS command doesn't work :/.

Because the build-prod command generate files like : main.js?qd87dz8z25zd4
The number at the end changes at each build, so i need to clean up the remote folder in order to prevent to have a lot of main.js?XXXXXX outdated.

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ed Bateman January 3, 2021

The downside of using a rm here is that there's a short time when your web site isn't available. Also, if the later deployment phase stops (e.g. due to failure) your web site is down. Another approach that is worth considering is this:

1. Deploy to a folder location which has directories within it which includes the build or deployment number (e.g. www/website/v1 , www/website/v2 www/website/v3)
  2. Have a symbolic link that points to the current release (e.g.  www/website/latest -> www/website/v3)
  3. Once the new release (www/website/v4) is deployed successfully switch the symbolic link (www/website/latest -> www/website/v4)
  4. Delete all releases automatically that are older than X and are not the symbolic link.

You can extend this to also have a simple rollback by having an 'old' link. To rollback, a script would move all the symbolic links back. Old can't really change though and you need to think through changing the links there.

0 votes
Answer accepted
optimusRog March 5, 2020

The problem is solved by the ssh-run pipeline :

- pipe: atlassian/ssh-run:0.2.4
variables:
SSH_USER: $USER
COMMAND: 'rm -rf /var/www/html/*'
DEBUG: 'false'
- pipe: atlassian/sftp-deploy:0.5.4
variables:
USER: $USER
REMOTE_PATH: '/var/www/html/'
LOCAL_PATH: 'dist/*'
DEBUG: 'false'
1 vote
Deleted user January 12, 2022

Sorry for refloating this old post...

I'm confronted with the same situation and would really appreciate a more detailed "instructions".

The symlink to the current deployment: can I update automatically as part of my pipeline in the last step?

The version to which to redirect the symlink: can that be updated automatically with some random generator?

For removing all folders from old deployments: should I set up a linux job for that? How do I exclude the folder that is currently being referenced in the symlink?

Thanks much!

Julian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events